Foe by Iain Reid // Unbelievably Mind-Warping

Wednesday 11 July 2018
Foe, by Iain Reid
Publication: August 7, 2018, by Simon and Schuster
Genre: Adult Fiction, Thriller
Pages: 224
Source: Publisher
Format: ARC
Rating: 

We don’t get visitors. Not out here. We never have.
Junior and Hen are a quiet married couple. They live a comfortable, solitary life on their farm, far from the city lights, but in close quarters with each other. One day, a stranger from the city arrives with surprising news: Junior has been randomly selected to travel far away from the farm...very far away. The most unusual part? Arrangements have already been made so that when he leaves, Hen won’t have a chance to miss him at all, because she won’t be left alone—not even for a moment. Hen will have company. Familiar company.
Foe examines the nature of domestic relationships, self-determination, and what it means to be (or not to be) a person. An eerily entrancing page-turner, it churns with unease and suspense from the first words to its shocking finale.

My Thoughts:

Foe by Iain Reid was a surprise. It was a surprise because it randomly showed up in my mailbox (I never knew that it was going to be released, or even that Iain Reid was writing a second novel that'll be also a psychological thriller), and a surprise because it was amazing. If you're looking for another book that will mess with your mind just like I'm Thinking of Ending Things did, read this. I've been noticing that some of the other early reviews are skeptical of this book being classified as a 'psychological thriller,' however, I feel like it can be. THIS IS A THRILLER. It will absolutely thrill you to the core. Whatever you take away from the summary is not what the book's even close to being about. There's much more to the story, many more details and events that will scare the heck out of you, and make sure that you will not sleep at night, or trust the people around you.


Without spoiling anything, Foe is about a happily married couple, Hen and Junior, who are living in the countryside, far away from any nearby homes or people. One night, they receive an unexpected visitor from an internationally famous company who states that Junior has been selected, through a random lottery system, to travel far away from their farm. In return, Hen would be taken care of while Junior sets off on this 'life-altering experience.' This book focuses on the journey towards Junior's 'instalment' into this new phase of his life, and the struggles he faces as he comes to terms with this new part of his life.

From the start of my reading experience, I was obsessed. I couldn't stop reading, and I knew that this is the kind of book that should be finished in a maximum of two sittings. And that's how I was able to complete my reading experience. This is an approximately 200-paged story that kept me intrigued in every moment. The chapters are relatively short, and the dialogue is written in a way that sends chills down my spine. There are so many hidden aspects in the story that, by the time your reading experience is over, will show you that they were added by Iain Reid for a reason. I love these kinds of books, because every part is important; there's no random junky writing that solely appears to take up pages. Iain Reid's writing is beautiful, and features important details that make the story even more terrifying than initially suspected.


What I loved most about the story was its ending. If it had a mediocre ending, I would've probably given this book a 4-star rating. However, the ending did everything for me. It contained such a drastic plot twist that I felt my heart palpitate. If you're looking to be shook, please read this story and see what I'm talking about. I am in love, and this is one of the best books of the year.






Foe changed the way I look at psychological thrillers; it moved me, and introduced a new idea to my favourite book genre. Iain Reid, you are the master of scaring readers. 

*A review copy was provided by the publisher in exchange for a honest review. Thank you so much!*

Who is your favourite author who writes books that are consistently well-written?

No comments :

Post a Comment

I love comments, I always read them, they always make my day and help me improve my posts. Thank you!