The Death of Mrs. Westaway by Ruth Ware // Ms. Ware Does Not Disappoint!

Sunday 19 August 2018
The Death of Mrs. Westaway, by Ruth Ware
Publication: May 29, 2018, by Gallery/Scout Press
Genre: Adult Fiction, Mystery, Thriller
Pages: 368
Format: ARC
Source: Publisher
Rating: ½

On a day that begins like any other, Hal receives a mysterious letter bequeathing her a substantial inheritance. She realizes very quickly that the letter was sent to the wrong person—but also that the cold-reading skills she’s honed as a tarot card reader might help her claim the money.
Soon, Hal finds herself at the funeral of the deceased…where it dawns on her that there is something very, very wrong about this strange situation and the inheritance at the centre of it.

My Thoughts:

The Death of Mrs. Westaway was an absolute shock. Why a shock, you ask? Because it was completely different from anything Ruth Ware has previously written. This is a twist on your regular old psychological thriller. In fact, I wouldn't really call this a thriller, but a mystery. And I actually loved it, even though it’s not the type of book I usually enjoy. This was a book about a mystery that has run in a family for years, without our protagonist, Hal, even knowing it. As I’m writing this, I’m debating whether I should give this book a 4 or 4.5 star rating, as I am truly confused with the ending. I don’t know if it’s just me, but I felt that the conclusion to the story wasn't properly explained. 

Ruth Ware’s fourth and newest story revolves around the life of Hal, a young woman living in Brighton, England, surviving based on a small salary she makes through tarot card reading and fortune telling on the beach’s pier. She struggles to make payments and live her life normally until one day, she surprisingly receives a letter in the mail, explaining that her grandmother has passed away and Hal is entitled to a large inheritance. Hal feels like it’s too good to be true, as she knows nothing about her relatives and her own mother’s past, but decides to take the chance and lie. She soon arrives at her “grandmother’s” mansion, where she meets her long-lost “family members,” and things get insane from there. She feels as if someone is watching her, setting up traps for her, forcing her to doubt her mother’s past and everything she thought she knew about herself. 

I really liked Hal’s character and her personality as a protagonist. Usually, authors of mystery books generate protagonists who are too smart and too knowledgable about everything, making it look like it was easy to solve the mystery. However, Hal had her own flaws, and this just made her seem more human and made the book as a whole seem more real. I totally could imagine this story happening in reality. Those are the kinds of stories I like to read; the ones that I can picture occurring in real life. 

When I began reading the novel, I must admit that it was very slow paced, however, it eventually picked up around the hundredth page when we reached the point where Hal enters Trespassen, Mrs. Westaway’s mansion. The mansion definitely gave off some creepy vibes. 






The Death of Mrs. Westaway was a really entertaining read, and I definitely recommend to lovers of Ruth Ware’s writing or people interested in mysteries/thrillers. It was very suspenseful and came with many twists and turns that left me shocked. Aside from the confusing ending and slow pace of the beginning, it was an excellent read that I was able to practically complete during a long road trip. It definitely caught my attention for the whole time. 

*A review copy was provided by the publisher in exchange for a honest review. Thank you so much!*

Do you prefer psychological thrillers or mysteries?

No comments :

Post a Comment

I love comments, I always read them, they always make my day and help me improve my posts. Thank you!