While He Was Away, by Karen Schreck

Tuesday 18 June 2013


Title: While He Was Away
Author: Karen Schreck
Rating: 2.5/5 stars
Release Date: May 1, 2012
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Format: Paperback
Age Group: 12+


    Before I got this, I've been eyeing it for some time, probably because of the beautiful cover. David looks super-cute, and the whole sunset-motorcycle theme really captivates me. So, I got it, but I kind of regreted it, which caused me to again tell you for like the millionth time, don't judge a book by its cover.

   While He Was Away started off as the average chick-lit novel, a girl and her boyfriend doing something cute or cheesy, depends on what you think is "cheesy." Well, for me, I liked the motorcycle riding, it's really unique than what other boys in novels do for their girls. 

   Once David, Penna's boyfriend in the American army, goes back to Iraq, for another what, eighteen weeks, the story became really dull. I think Penna overreacted, she seemed really depressed, I know I would also be, but it's a novel, please make it a little more interesting? 

   Ugh, then when Penna got the job at the restaurant, it became even more boring as she kept thinking about David. Then it got interesting, and then the ending just ruined it for me, even though it was unpredictable. I never thought that it would end the way it did.

    So, Penna. Well Penna, like I said, wasn't the best girly heroine, but I liked her at some points. She knew what she wanted, and really was a caring person. On the other hand, her mother, Linda, was really the one I disliked. If the author never said that she was her mother, I would probably have thought that she was some bratty friend of Penna's. Breaking your leg, and then staying over at some guy's house like a vacation for two weeks, leaving your eighteen year old daughter alone, not so mature, mom. 

    
    Daniel was a good boyfriend, but then you'll realize why not so much in the end. He really disappointed me, and probably many other bookworms! I wish Ravi was the one, he really touched my heart, and was one of the ones I could connect to for some reason. 

   While He Was Away wasn't amazing, but it wasn't disgusting either. You know, somewhere in the middle. I wouldn't recommend it, but oh well..


Here's the summary on Goodreads


-Michelle

No comments :

Post a Comment

I love comments, I always read them, they always make my day and help me improve my posts. Thank you!