Mercy, by Rebecca Lim

Tuesday 8 July 2014

Mercy (Mercy #1), by Rebecca Lim

Genre: Young Adult Fiction, Angels, Paranormal, Fantasy, Romance, Mystery

Rating: 1.5/5 stars

Publication: October 28, 2010, by HarperCollins Children

Format: Paperback Edition (borrowed)





Goodreads Summary: Mercy doesn't realise it yet, but as she journeys into the darkest places of the human soul, she discovers that she is one of the celestial hosts exiled with fallen angel Lucifer. Now she must atone for taking his side. To find her own way back to heaven, Mercy must help a series of humans in crisis.

Review:


  After reading this book, I have come to realize that getting book recommendations from people shouldn't be 100% trusted. One of the reasons that I picked up this book was because someone at my local library recommended it to me, having me be a YA reader. I read the summary, trusted her word, and took it out, despite the fact that it kind of reminded me of David Levithan's Every Day. And there you have it, I didn't like this book at all.

    "I am my worst enemy; that much I've figured out." 

    The concept and confusion was the thing that worsened the book the far most. During most of the book, I was like:


      And then I was like:


        Because I honestly thought that it was just me who was confused. But then I read other reviews and turns out I wasn't the only one hating this book by page 100. But I guess you could say that the romance kept me going. It was like the only good part of the book, next to the characters. The author made it so difficult to understand the world and what was going on and who Mercy really was. It was all mumbo-jumbo, and reading this was like trying to understand a language that you've never heard of before. I don't recommend this if you're the easy-to-confuse type.

        Mercy is a fallen angel who takes places of different humans for days to come. When she meets Ryan, a lover of the girl who's body she is currently taking over, her whole life changes forever. She needs to find her way back to heaven, so in exchange, she helps out different humans.

        So you must be rolling your eyes. *rolls eyes and sighs* But the thing is, I was once earlier intrigued with this summary and idea. So don't be laughing at me. ;) As I began reading this book, I realized how unoriginal the concept really was. David Levithan, are you there? Here's a total recap of your book with a minor twist added to it. Yes, angels. *bawls in corner*

        Originality is such an important key in writing a book. There are a lot of people out there who have read many of books (such as myself) and if you write a book that is unoriginal, we will catch the mistake and will realize it. It's not the first, or second time that we've seen something like this. ._. Meh.

         So because of the major confusion during the whole book, I didn't really enjoy the plot either. I didn't know what was going on. The concept of mystery added to it was just pointless and boring. I was majorly boring throughout and having Mercy as a detective isn't the best idea either. What is she, the next Nancy Drew angel sleuth? Naw.

        Speaking of Mercy, as a character, she wasn't too bad. Compared to other protagonists in very low rated books of mine, she's pretty good. She wasn't horrible, but she had her dull moments where she deserved a slap in the face. But don't all protagonists do? *creepy grin*

       

          My utterly most favourite thing about this book was Ryan. I LOVED THIS GUY SO MUCH. Like from when he was brought into the book, I felt a connection to him and we had an insta-love relationship! *squeals* But if you know me, you'll know that I have this insta-love connection with most fictional men.

          The romance between Ryan and Mercy was just utterly cryptic but stupendous at the same time. Ryan accepted Mercy for who she was and they loved each other like hell. You could instantly tell. 

           But those were the only two positives. Everything else really disappointed and I expected much better. If you're looking for a good unique read, then I'd recommend staying away from this one. It's boring, confusing, and totally not worth it. 

No comments :

Post a Comment

I love comments, I always read them, they always make my day and help me improve my posts. Thank you!