Forever... by Judy Blume // Girl Power and Glory

Tuesday 3 October 2017
Forever... by Judy Blume
Publication: April 24, 2007, by Simon Pulse
Genre: Young Adult Fiction, Contemporary, Romance
Pages: 192
Format: Paperback
Source: Purchased
Rating: 

When you build up something in your mind—really imagine it, wish for it—sometimes, when it actually happens, it doesn't live up to your expectations.
True love is nothing like that.
Especially not for Katherine and Michael, who can't get enough of each other. Their relationship is unique: sincere, intense, and fun all at the same time. Although they haven't been together all that long, they know it's serious. A whole world opens up as young passion and sexuality bloom.
But it's senior year of high school, and there are big changes ahead. Michael and Katherine are destined for another big "first": a decision. Is this the love of a lifetime, or the very beginning of a lifetime of love?

My Thoughts:

Forever... is a book that has been sitting in my bookshelf for years. LITERALLY YEARS. Four years, five years? Something like that. I have always been a fan of Judy Blume, and I felt the need to read all of her books. At last, I sought a quick, short read, and felt that it was the perfect time to pick this up. This is a story that every teenage girl needs to pick up and devour. Although it was written years ago, much of the concepts Blume explores in terms of sexuality still pertains to what is modern and known today. It is a story that will sit in your head, and a story every reader will probably remember for years because of the impact and innocence it delivers.

Judy Blume realistically approaches what it is like to be in a relationship. There aren't any depictions of cheesiness and unpredictability, as there is in normal contemporary romances. She showcases that Michael and Katherine are living in a real world where relationships occasionally have issues. But this book isn't about whether this couple will end up being together forever (as the title depicts) but what their relationship is like and whether there is any pressure to express sexuality. Some books get it completely wrong, but Blume got it completely right. This is for all of the feminists out there. It has so much humour in it and I just cannot get the story out of my head.

Basically, to put it simply, this is about two high school seniors: Michael and Katherine, who start a relationship and basically become addicted to each other. But it's not one of those teen chick-flick relationships, but a relationship that is sensual and real. It seemed so real and different than anything I have read before. The plot was fast-paced, both of the characters were likeable, and there was not much I could complain about. 

MY FAVOURITE THING ABOUT THIS? The lack of predictability. I normally pick chick-lit books up so I can get a nice idea (always expecting predictability) but this was a pleasant surprise. Put this on the list of Books Everyone Must Pick Up, please!






Forever... is a book I will remember forever. Read it, enjoy it, and enjoy the relationship Judy Blume creates, because it is gorgeous. What a lovely read.

What is your favourite Judy Blume book?

No comments :

Post a Comment

I love comments, I always read them, they always make my day and help me improve my posts. Thank you!