The Unlikelies by Carrie Firestone // SO Cute

Wednesday 5 December 2018
The Unlikelies, by Carrie Firestone
Publication: June 6, 2017, by Little Brown and Company
Genre: Young Adult Fiction, Contemporary, Romance
Pages: 336
Format: ARC
Source: Publisher
Rating: 

Sadie is not excited for the summer before her senior year. It will be her first without her college-bound best friend and (now ex-)boyfriend by her side, so Sadie braces herself for a long, lonely, and boring season working at a farm stand in the Hamptons. But things take an unexpected turn when Sadie steps in to help rescue a baby in peril and footage of her impromptu good deed goes viral.
As she’s recovering from “the incident” and adjusting to her Internet fame, Sadie receives an invitation to a lunch honoring teem homegrown heroes. The five honorees instantly connect and soon decide to spend their time together righting local wrongs. Sadie and her new friends embark on escalating acts of vigilante Good Samaritanism, but might be in over her heads when they try to help a heroin-addicted friend. Are good intentions enough to hold unlikely friendships—and an even unlikelier new romance—together?

My Thoughts:

The Unlikelies was such a lovely surprise. After reading Carrie Firestone's debut story, The Loose Ends List, I was pretty impressed, but not to the fullest extent possible. I was truly hesitant to pick this book up, but I had a feeling I would enjoy it because it seemed to be not all about romance, which is what I was seeking. Too many books these days focus on cheesy, impossible romances that make me feel sad and hopeless. Carrie Firestone knows how to mix a gorgeous plot with a group of unforgettable characters who actually remind me of a less reckless version of the characters in The Breakfast Club. Each character had their own memorable twang which I really appreciated reading about. Instead of having rebellious characters who spend the book learning about their wrongs, this was about good characters. Characters I will never forget about. 

The book's main character is Sadie, who becomes an Internet sensation by doing a good deed and stopping a man from drunk driving with his baby daughter in the backseat. Afterwards, she gets invited to a lunch celebrating the Hamptons' 'homegrown heroes,' which Sadie feels that she doesn't belong in. Little does she know that the four honourees will become her new friends, especially during the time that she tries to live life after her other friends are going off to college while Sadie will be a senior.

I honestly was obsessed with this book from this start. I completed it in a span of two or three sittings, and adored the overall message that it presented, which was that each individual should be surrounded by others who do good. We should all take chances to do good to benefit others. This story just made me feel so happy, from the miniature piece of romance to the lovely characters. It surely was one of the best books I've read this year.







The Unlikelies truly made me smile and feel all good inside; more authors should look into creating genuinely good characters like the five 'unlikelies.' I'm in love!

*A review copy was provided by the publisher in exchange for a honest review. Thank you so much!*


What is a book you've read about genuinely good characters?

No comments :

Post a Comment

I love comments, I always read them, they always make my day and help me improve my posts. Thank you!