Just Listen, by Sarah Dessen

Wednesday 21 August 2013

Title: Just Listen

Author: Sarah Dessen

Rating: 4.5/5 stars

Release Date: February 28, 2008

Publisher: Speak

Format: Paperback Edition

Goodreads Average Rating: 4.11 (wow.)

Age Group: 11+






   Greetings, fellow bloggers/reviewers!

   I just came back from one of my favourite places in the world to be, the one and only Florida, and let me tell you, I have read a lot! So, starting now, I'll be catching up with my reviewing, at this very instant! (You could also find me on Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/Michelle_In_Wonderland )


  Just Listen was one of the best Sarah Dessen novels that I had read to that point. I totally related to it, especially with the whole music-loving concept, and I think that it's definitely worth reading, especially for those who need that chick-lit boost in their day.

  Here we have Annabel Green, the girl who's perfect, at least in her modelling shoots. But her life isn't all that great anyway. Many problems in her life are all rushing and causing her to think- her sister's eating disorder to her and her best friend's friendship ruined. Her problems come to an end, well at least for a little while, when she meets Owen, the music-obsessed guy who has a bad reputation. Being with Owen helps Annabel realize that it doesn't matter what other people think of you, you just have to listen to your heart and the good will eventually come out.

  As another vivid Sarah Dessen reader, we all come to realize that every narrator that "the author/queen" writes about is always in some bad situation at the time. But here, Annabel's situation might be the worst of them all, relating to Laurie Halse Anderson's Speak, in many ways.

  I think that Annabel had certain circumstances in which the author wanted her to become. Being the slim-beautiful model might sound like perfection, but deadly things happen in the modelling world as well, when you look at Annabel's sister, Whitney, and what she became of. Although Annabel did have "that image," us readers came to see that Annabel is a confident, but insecure at the same time kind of girl, and that she's a great character that many of us girls would want to be around with. She has a terrific story to tell, even though it's fiction, things like this happen everyday, and we have to be aware of it.

  I became superbly-attached to this novel, and if you decide to read it, you'll understand why. Sarah Dessen created a beautiful story that has just enough of everything- from drama to romance, you feel like you're having a lucid dream.

No comments :

Post a Comment

I love comments, I always read them, they always make my day and help me improve my posts. Thank you!