Once and For All by Sarah Dessen // Disappointing Sarah Dessen Read

Wednesday 30 August 2017
Once and For All, by Sarah Dessen
Publication: June 6, 2017, by Viking Books for Young Readers
Genre: Young Adult Fiction, Contemporary, Romance
Pages: 358
Format: ARC
Source: Publisher
Rating: 

Louna, daughter of famed wedding planner Natalie Barrett, has seen every sort of wedding: on the beach, at historic mansions, in fancy hotels and clubs. Perhaps that's why she's cynical about happily-ever-after endings, especially since her own first love ended tragically. When Louna meets charming, happy-go-lucky serial dater Ambrose, she holds him at arm's length. But Ambrose isn't about to be discouraged, now that he's met the one girl he really wants.

Sarah Dessen’s many, many fans will adore her latest, a richly satisfying, enormously entertaining story that has everything—humor, romance, and an ending both happy and imperfect, just like life itself.

My Thoughts:

Once and For All made me expect that I would finally, FINALLY rate a Sarah Dessen book five stars once and for all. (Well - I did a few times in the past, but her recent books have been boring.) I liked this one, don't get me wrong, however, it was kind of boring and meaningless, if you know what I mean. I didn't feel much of a reaction once it was over, nothing tugged me to go back and read all of her past stories. It was between a hit and a miss. I can see why many people would fall in love with this kind of story — it does have to kind of do with weddings and love, after all, but I find it too cheesy and unbelievable for my liking. If only falling in love could be THIS easy. 


I only find myself liking contemporary novels when I can actually imagine it happening in real life. This was unimaginable. Sure, Dessen's writing is quite detailed and provides a nice image in my mind, however, I felt that everything occurred too quickly. From Ambrose and Louna's relationship, to Louna getting over all of the grief she endured, it seemed... crazy. I did enjoy how unique the story was, though, in terms of Louna being the daughter of wedding planners, and the fact that fate "puts her in the situation" of falling in love with a client's brother. This is definitely a book for the pre-Nicholas Sparks readers. It's cheesiness galore. 

"Weddings were like truth serum, or so my mom always said. Whatever your personality, it would come out in spades" (122).

It all doesn't require much explaining, in terms of the plot. This is about a girl, who seems so ordinary, and a boy, who is wild and a total player, and how they're put together, initially hating each other. If this book had another base to it, more depth to it, perhaps I would have adored it. It was okay, in all honesty. I loved Louna's kick-butt character, and how much she just wanted to revive from her dark days, and how she wanted to fall in love again. I kept feeling this beautiful, youthful vibe from her, which, in reality, is what I was supposed to feel, as this is a YA novel after all. 


Now, Ambrose was cute too. He's the love interest, and I cannot even call that a spoiler because it was meant to be. We all can see it coming from the summary of the story. He's your typical, girl-crazy guy who I fell in love with a little. I just didn't appreciate the relationship of the two characters, as to me... they didn't quite fit. It felt forced, unlike the chemistry Dessen's other fictional relationships had.






Once and For All was a nice, summer read. It took me waaay too long to read it, when I think about it, but that's because I felt like I knew what would happen. And it did. Nothing "special" occurred, which I really would have appreciated. I will still be reading Dessen's future books as they are a nice break from mysteries and thrillers that I tend to turn to.

*A review copy was provided by the publisher in exchange for a honest review. Thank you so much!*

What is your favourite Sarah Dessen book?

No comments :

Post a Comment

I love comments, I always read them, they always make my day and help me improve my posts. Thank you!