The Girl Before by J.P. Delaney // Thrilling and Messed Up

Wednesday 30 May 2018
The Girl Before, by J.P. Delaney
Publication: January 24, 2017, by Ballantine Books
Genre: Adult Fiction, Mystery, Thriller
Pages: 320
Format: ARC
Source: BEA/Publisher
Rating: 

Emma:
Reeling from a traumatic break-in, Emma wants a new place to live. But none of the apartments she sees are affordable or feel safe. Until One Folgate Street. The house is an architectural masterpiece: a minimalist design of pale stone, plate glass, and soaring ceilings. But there are rules. The enigmatic architect who designed the house retains full control: no books, no throw pillows, no photos or clutter or personal effects of any kind. The space is intended to transform its occupant—and it does.
Jane:
After a personal tragedy, Jane needs a fresh start. When she finds One Folgate Street she is instantly drawn to the space—and to its aloof but seductive creator. Moving in, Jane soon learns about the untimely death of the home’s previous tenant, a woman similar to Jane in age and appearance. As Jane tries to untangle truth from lies, she unwittingly follows the same patterns, makes the same choices, crosses paths with the same people, and experiences the same terror, as the girl before.

My Thoughts:

THIS WAS ONE OF THE MOST INSANE BOOKS I'VE EVER READ. I-N-S-A-N-E. By insane, I mean mind-warping and messed-up and super-cool. It was interesting and had the coolest concept I have ever read about. And you can tell that it's a popular one due to the fact that it is actually becoming a movie (thanks to Universal)! I would have given this a pure five-star rating if the ending was more clear. This book left me guessing, aching for more, and aching for my questions to be answered. It seemed rushed and it just did not provide me with fulfillment, you know? Most of the time, I feel like the purpose of books and the reasons for books existing is to entertain audiences and, by the end, provide some sort of closure. This, sadly, did not, which is why I had to deduct a star from the rating. HOWEVER: this was still a great, pretty awesome read I totally recommend to everyone.


What J.P. Delaney basically writes about, in a nutshell, is about the house on One Folgate Street. It's a psycho house, in case you were wondering. And how do we know this? Because of the rules. Yeah; there are like 200 CRAZY rules that come with living in the house. And they're not your typical "NO PARTIES" kinds of rules: THESE ARE MESSED UP, control-freak kinds of rules. Two protagonists, which J.P. Delaney switches between (Emma and Jane), both experience the horrors of the home and deal with the owner, who is creepy too.

Let's just say that this entire novel has some creepy vibes. The romance (if that's what you can call it0 was weird though intriguing and I am just really interested in seeing more literature by the author. IT'S GOING TO BE SO GOOD. I CAN'T WAIT.






The Girl Before really made me question everyone I know, to be quite honest. XD It's just a book that shows how we really do not know the people we interact with. There's mystery to everything and the situations we put ourselves in may have consequences.

*A review copy was provided by the publisher via BookExpo America in exchange for a honest review. Thank you so much!*

What is the most 'messed up' book you've read?

No comments :

Post a Comment

I love comments, I always read them, they always make my day and help me improve my posts. Thank you!