The Breakdown by B.A. Paris // Ms. Paris Does It Again!

Sunday 3 June 2018
The Breakdown, by B.A. Paris
Publication: July 18, 2017, by St. Martin's Press
Genre: Adult Fiction, Mystery, Thriller
Pages: 384
Format: Paperback
Source: Purchased
Rating: 

Cass is having a hard time since the night she saw the car in the woods, on the winding rural road, in the middle of a downpour, with the woman sitting inside―the woman who was killed. She’s been trying to put the crime out of her mind; what could she have done, really? It’s a dangerous road to be on in the middle of a storm. Her husband would be furious if he knew she’d broken her promise not to take that shortcut home. And she probably would only have been hurt herself if she’d stopped.
But since then, she’s been forgetting every little thing: where she left the car, if she took her pills, the alarm code, why she ordered a pram when she doesn’t have a baby.
The only thing she can’t forget is that woman, the woman she might have saved, and the terrible nagging guilt.
Or the silent calls she’s receiving, or the feeling that someone’s watching her…

My Thoughts:

I FEEL SO BAD. Because this review would've been a million times better if I had written it around ten months ago. But I DIDN'T. So you're stuck reading a review written by a girl with some faded memory. I'll try my best however, as The Breakdown was amazing and deserves every bit of a positive, well-written review. And I can tell you that I do remember quite a bit, because DUH, it's written by B.A. Paris! 

Although I'm giving this a 5-star rating, it was not as good as Behind Closed Doors. This may not make any sense, but it's still worth giving a 5-star rating. It's right at the mark, while Paris' debut novel exploded and broke the scale. It's quite difficult for me to explain, but if you're a fan of her writing, you'll know what I'm talking about. THIS BOOK WAS JUST SO GOOD — it was fast-paced and everything I could have ever wanted from a psychological thriller. Of course, I base my opinion of psychological thrillers on a B.A. Paris scale. 



This story is basically about a woman named Cass who is traumatized after not helping a woman stuck by the side of the road one rainy night as she was returning home from a party. It turns out that the woman is found killed the next day, and Cass begins to "go crazy" as she receives silent calls, forgets the smallest things, and finds that her life is changing for the worse. Unfortunately, that's all I'm able to tell and explain to you without progressing into full SPOILER mode. And I feel like that's enough for me to tell you to cause you to want to read this book.







The Breakdown left me speechless and dying for more books by B.A. Paris. I was SUPER shocked with the ending and the result to all of the mysteries hidden in between the lines here. I love fetching these kinds of books so that for a couple of hours, I have the chance to play detective and pretend that I'm actually solving some major mystery with all of the hints given to me (even if they're not completely obvious). 


I HAVE NO QUESTION FOR YOU, JUST A PLEAD FOR YOU TO GO GET EVERYTHING WRITTEN BY B.A. PARIS RIGHT NOW.

2 comments :

  1. This sounds so interesting! Definitely adding it to my TBR. Lovely review Michelle :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, I always read them, they always make my day and help me improve my posts. Thank you!