Not If I See You First by Eric Lindstorm // Beautifully Written

Saturday 2 June 2018
Not If I See You First, by Eric Lindstorm
Publication: December 1, 2015, by Poppy
Genre: Young Adult Fiction, Contemporary, Romance
Pages: 310
Format: ARC
Source: BEA/Publisher
Rating: ½

Parker Grant doesn’t need 20/20 vision to see right through you. That’s why she created the Rules: Don’t treat her any differently just because she’s blind, and never take advantage. There will be no second chances. Just ask Scott Kilpatrick, the boy who broke her heart.
When Scott suddenly reappears in her life after being gone for years, Parker knows there’s only one way to react—shun him so hard it hurts. She has enough on her mind already, like trying out for the track team (that’s right, her eyes don’t work but her legs still do), doling out tough-love advice to her painfully naive classmates, and giving herself gold stars for every day she hasn’t cried since her dad’s death three months ago. But avoiding her past quickly proves impossible, and the more Parker learns about what really happened—both with Scott, and her dad—the more she starts to question if things are always as they seem. Maybe, just maybe, some Rules are meant to be broken.
Combining a fiercely engaging voice with true heart, debut author Eric Lindstrom’s Not If I See You First illuminates those blind spots that we all have in life, whether visually impaired or not.

My Thoughts:

Okay, let's just make this clear and evident: I LOVED THIS BOOK. SO much. It has been the LONGEST time since I peeked at the cover and even considered writing a review for it (that's how big the reading slump I was in WAS), but to this day, I can still remember me adoring every single moment of the experience. I love good old hearty novels that bring out emotions in me. Sure, you can call this a contemporary romance about a bunch of teenagers experiencing the high-school life and grief, however, it was more than that. Because, the main point and concept which this story surrounded was the fact that its protagonist, Parker, is blind. I can tell you that I do not know of any other YA novels based around a blind character. It's really sad to see that, as the subject is common in society.

In case you were curious about what little thing made me give this a 4.5 star rating instead of a 5 star one, it's Parker, unfortunately. Parker was a very unlikeable character. Obviously, the author's intentions were for her to be like that, however, I felt that she was a little too unlikeable. Parker's life is full of a lot of misfortune, including the fact that her father just died and her blindness, but, I don't know, I didn't see anything amazing about her. She definitely redeemed herself by the end, which did not make me hate her excessively. Let's just say that her love interest, Scott, made everything better.


I LOVED THE ROMANCE IN THIS STORY. It made me feel all gushy and happy, emotions that are absolutely difficult for me to feel when reading every single chick-lit story. This is not your typical chick-lit story, to make things clear. IT WAS MORE. It had purpose, and I was able to speed through it. Those are the kinds of books people remember forever.






Not If I See You First was gorgeous; it has made me become even more excited to pick up Eric Lindstorm's other books. It's a special one that made my insides explode with happiness.

*A review copy was provided by the publisher via BookExpo America in exchange for a honest review. Thank you so much!*

Are there any other YA books with a blind character?



No comments :

Post a Comment

I love comments, I always read them, they always make my day and help me improve my posts. Thank you!