If You Don't Have Anything Nice to Say by Leila Sales // I Don't Understand the Problems

Monday 25 June 2018
If You Don't Have Anything Nice to Say, by Leila Sales
Publication: May 1, 2018, by Farrar, Straus and Giroux
Genre: Young Adult Fiction, Contemporary, Romance
Pages: 288
Format: ARC
Source: Publisher
Rating: ½

We all want to be seen. We all want to be heard. But what happens when we’re seen and heard saying or doing the wrong things? What then?
When Winter Halperin—former spelling bee champion, aspiring writer, and daughter of a parenting expert—gets caught saying the wrong thing online, her life explodes. All across the world, people knows what she’s done, and none of them will forgive her.

With her friends gone, her future plans cut short, and her identity in shambles, Winter is just trying to pick up the pieces without hurting anyone else. She knows she messed up, but does that mean it’s okay for people to send her hate mail and death threats? Does she deserve to lose all that she’s lost? And is “I’m sorry” ever good enough?

First and foremost a novel about public shaming in the internet age, If You Don’t Have Anything Nice to Say is also an exploration of the power of words, the cumulative destructiveness of microaggressions, and the pressing need for empathy.

My Thoughts:

When I picked this book up, I was extremely hesitant because it seems that the entire bookish community is not really rooting for this book by Leila Sales. I am a HUGE Leila Sales, having read every book by her except for one, and when given the opportunity to read this new release, I was ecstatic. I was not aware that she would be releasing a new, heartwarming story in 2018, and discovering this was the best news. Then, I read some of the early reviews and I was afraid but skeptical. Leila Sales chose to write this book based on what is happening in our world today on social media and on the Internet. The topic of this book is very unique, however, it appears in reality everyday and affects all of our lives. Nevertheless, I completely support Leila Sales' decision to write about this, and we deserve to read a story about this topic. About racism and not realizing the consequences that our actions and words have. 

I obviously am not standing up for the comments that the protagonist, Winter Halperin, used. It was wrong for her to type that out (we obviously see the wrongness of the situation when Winter begins to lose everything she has ever had), however, this does not mean that Winter is an evil individual who deserves to be punished. In MY opinion, I see that Winter's character felt sorry for what she did, and, by the end of the novel, understood why her actions were wrong. I personally did not feel sorry for her (I don't think we were meant to feel that way — Leila Sales usually creates these kinds of characters), but just because I didn't feel sorry doesn't mean that this book is unacceptable. I just don't understand why some people are hating on this story for its theme and topic. It is about time that an author addresses this topic in a story, as it seems as if everyone has been ignoring it in the literary world. I personally enjoyed the topics explored in the writing.

For the first half of the story, I was intrigued and fascinated with the storyline and plot. The story is so unique that I'm pretty sure it cannot be compared to anything else. 2018 is the best time for this book to have been released, so I definitely think it's time for you to pick it up. When I got through to the second half, especially the part involving Winter's entrance to rehab and the relationship (which I don't think was necessary; let the girl focus on her emotions!) it fell short as I wasn't able to see where the story was really going. From the first half, I became aware of the fact that the story was about Winter learning how to deal with her mistakes, though I found that the plot dragged. Nonetheless, I totally recommend every bit of the story for a fresh read.






If You Don't Have Anything Nice to Say was a great read to start off my summer vacation, and it truly is an important one. Go see that for yourself.

*A review copy was provided by the publisher in exchange for a honest review. Thank you so much!*

What are some other controversial YA novels?

No comments :

Post a Comment

I love comments, I always read them, they always make my day and help me improve my posts. Thank you!