The Merciless II: The Exorcism of Sofia Flores by Danielle Vega // Unexpected Gorgeousness

Thursday 28 June 2018
The Merciless II: The Exorcism of Sofia Flores (The Merciless #2), by Danielle Vega
Publication: July 5, 2016, by Razorbill
Genre: Young Adult Fiction, Horror
Pages: 320
Format: Paperback
Source: Purchased
Rating: 

Sofia is still processing the horrific truth of what happened when she and three friends performed an exorcism that spiraled horribly out of control. Ever since that night, Sofia has been haunted by bloody and demonic visions. Her therapist says they’re all in her head, but to Sofia they feel chillingly real. She just wants to get out of town, start fresh someplace else . . . until her mother dies suddenly, and Sofia gets her wish.
Sofia is sent to St. Mary’s, a creepy Catholic boarding school in Mississippi. There, seemingly everyone is doing penance for something, most of all the mysterious Jude, for whom Sofia can’t help feeling an unshakeable attraction. But when Sofia and Jude confide in each other about their pasts, something flips in him. He becomes convinced that Sofia is possessed by the devil. . . . Is an exorcism the only way to save her eternal soul?
Readers won’t be able to look away from this terrifying read full of twists and turns that will leave them wondering, Is there evil in all of us?

My Thoughts:

I was unfortunately unimpressed with Danielle Vega's Survive the Night, a horror standalone story about a group of teenagers intending to 'survive the night' in a New York City rave full of monsters and weird creatures. I suspected that my taste in YA genres have changed, and that perhaps I wasn't into the horror genre anymore. However, I was wrong — I just wasn't interested in that standalone story. I adored the second novel in The Merciless series. I never expected that Sofia Flores' story would take this turn and turn out to be so gory and addicting. If you're not the type of person who enjoys reading about gore, then definitely do not pick this up. But, I'm hoping you will so that you are able to see how gorgeous the writing and storyline is. It's rare for YA readers to come upon such amazing horror stories, and this is one of them.  


This story takes place a little while after the first Merciless novel ended. Sofia is still trying to relax after the previous trauma she endured with Brooklyn and her friends in Friend, Mississippi. When her mother suddenly dies in a car accident, Sofia is forced to look towards a change in her life as she is unable to live by herself in Friend anymore. She chooses to head to a Catholic boarding school where things start to go wrong too, and she feels connected to Brooklyn once again.

THIS STORY WAS JUST ABSOLUTELY PERFECT. I read it in a day (which is rare for me to experience these days after my countless reading slumps), and I'm telling you: it's been a long time since I've felt this way about a book. I am so in love with Vega's writing and I love how she is able to mix different aspects of a story together, such as romance, suspense, gore, and absolute horror which still scars me when I think about it. This is the first YA book that has left me terrified. I find that even if you don't think of yourself as a horror fan, there is a huge chance that this book will mould you into one. 






Yay to the success of this story and yay to YA horror! I truly do hope that more authors will tend to this genre as it's so underrated. I am so STOKED for the sequel to this novel (which I am about to start), and I cannot wait to become more terrified.

Have you read a YA novel that terrified you?


2 comments :

  1. I've seen these books before but had no idea what they were about. This story sounds so interesting and like something I'd really enjoy. Thanks for sharing your review, it's motivated me to go check this book out and read it for myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so welcome, Abby! I often find that these days, YA books tend to be so repetitive, however, Danielle Vega's idea with this series is so original and I hope you eventually pick these books up. They're seriously one of the best series I've read in the YA genre! :D

      Delete

I love comments, I always read them, they always make my day and help me improve my posts. Thank you!