A Girl Like That by Tanaz Bhathena // Such an Important, Special Read

Friday 6 July 2018
A Girl Like That, by Tanaz Bhathena
Publication: February 27, 2018, by Farrar Straus Giroux
Genre: Young Adult Fiction, Contemporary, Romance
Pages: 378
Format: ARC
Source: Publisher
Rating: ½

Sixteen-year-old Zarin Wadia is many things: a bright and vivacious student, an orphan, a risk taker. She’s also the kind of girl that parents warn their kids to stay away from: a troublemaker whose many romances are the subject of endless gossip at school. You don't want to get involved with a girl like that, they say. So how is it that eighteen-year-old Porus Dumasia has only ever had eyes for her? And how did Zarin and Porus end up dead in a car together, crashed on the side of a highway in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia? When the religious police arrive on the scene, everything everyone thought they knew about Zarin is questioned. And as her story is pieced together, told through multiple perspectives, it becomes clear that she was far more than just a girl like that.

My Thoughts:

A Girl Like That was a shock. That is probably the most important sentence I will state in this entire review, as it's the complete and utter truth. I was really excited about reading it, as I heard about the book through a blogger event held by Raincoast Books, the book's Canadian publisher. However, when I began reading it, I automatically felt as if it would be disappointing. All of the perspectives got me really confused from the first few pages, and I didn't understand what the purpose of the story would be. From its summary, I was aware that this wouldn't be a typical contemporary story, and I was aware that it did produce a ton of emotions in readers. However, I was not ready for this story to showcase the struggles of females in the Middle East, due to the harshness of governments and laws. I did not expect to adore this as much as I did, either, as I was really confused for the first fifty pages or so. I expected this to be about the car accident in which the protagonist, Zarin, and the male character, Porus, end up in, however, Bhathena's story is really about what leads up to this accident. And, it really helps us answer the book's main question: who is Zarin Wadia? Who is she really? 

So, as mentioned, this story follows Zarin Wadia, a sixteen-year-old girl living in Saudi Arabia. She is an orphan living with her strict aunt and uncle, and is not native to Saudi Arabia, as she is Parsi. Throughout the novel, we readers see her outlook on life as she encounters many relationships with boys, exploring her femininity and personality. However, when she meets Porus, who also comes from the same culture as Zarin, she is intrigued with him in a different way than most boys, which leads to them both being killed in a car accident. This story shows us readers what happened before this accident, and what major event stirred this.


A day after I closed the book's spine, I still cannot get the characters and story out of my mind. I cannot help but wonder what happened next, and how each of the characters were doing in reality, as if they existed. Tanaz Bhathena did an outstanding job at creating three-dimensional characters who seemed so realistic. This rarely happens in novels, though Tanaz successfully achieved this, and I felt as if they were so real. I cannot wait to see what other ideas the author has in mind, and to see if her future stories will be similar to this one. 

I found the book to be quite fresh, in the sense that I finally found a story which took place somewhere else other than America or Canada. (Though honestly, Canada's even difficult to find). I learned so much about the Saudi Arabian/Middle Eastern culture through this story, and I wish that more YA authors would pick up on this idea and continue the legacy which this author has begun. 


THIS BOOK JUST SCREAMS OUT FEMINISM. Our protagonist, Zarin, is a true advocate for women's rights, and based on the tragic event that happens to her in this story, there is no better way to build on feminism than the way Tanaz Bhathena did. Zarin was so kick-butt and memorable, unlike many of the weaker females I've read about who let boys take advantage of them. The relationship she developed with Porus was a rare one, that's for sure. How often are we readers truly able to see a relationship blossom through friendship? They usually form very quickly from characters seeing each other for the first time -> flirting -> dating. NOT IN THIS CASE. Thank you, astonishing author, for defying the stereotypes. 






It is time for more diverse books in the YA genre. Sure, we do get our fair bunch, but I find that those books usually fall under the fantasy/sci-fi genre. A Girl Like That was a difficult book to read, in that it messed with my emotions and really was devastating. It's an important read for everyone to pick up, as it touches upon many tough issues that need more addressing. Grab this one and love it with all of your heart.

*An advanced review copy was provided by the publisher in exchange for a honest review. Thank you so much!*

What are some latest diverse YA reads?

No comments :

Post a Comment

I love comments, I always read them, they always make my day and help me improve my posts. Thank you!