Ugly by Robert Hoge // Quick Memoir Read

Thursday 26 July 2018
Ugly, by Robert Hoge
Publication: September 6, 2016, by Viking Books for Young Readers
Genre: Non-Fiction, Memoir
Pages: 208
Format: ARC
Source: Publisher
Rating: 

When Robert Hoge was born, he had a tumor the size of a tennis ball in the middle of his face and short, twisted legs. Surgeons removed the tumor and made him a new nose from one of his toes. Amazingly, he survived with a face that would never be the same.
Strangers stared at him. Kids called him names, and adults could be cruel, too. Everybody seemed to agree that he was ugly. But Robert refused to let his face define him. He played pranks, got into trouble, had adventures with his big family, and finally found a sport that was perfect for him to play. AndRobert came face to face with the biggest decision of his life, he followed his heart.

My Thoughts:

Ugly is a book I should have read a long time ago. A LONG LONG TIME AGO. I really feel that my middle-grade self would've been obsessed with this kind of book, as it is a real story and a memoir where we readers get to read about Robert Hoge's life as an individual with a disability. I loved Hoge's narrating skills and the way he described his struggles; I can definitely say that I felt my heart break a few times while reading this, making me wish that I was there to comfort him when he was a little boy. This was just an overall great, quick (the best part of the experience) read that I will never forget.


If you can, recommend this story to any tweens (seventh or eighth graders) if you can. Robert Hoge's story is an important one, showing readers how he struggled with his identity as a child and how he tried to understand his limitations. I would say that the seventh/eighth grade audience is the perfect age group for this story; I do wish that it was intended for YA readers, however, because this lacked the emotional aspect of these kinds of stories. Hoge told his story and some of the feelings he had as a kid, but not all of my questions were answered, especially about how he handled his issues as an adult. The story, towards the end, also felt a bit rushed, but I really did enjoy reading this fresh story that should be more publicized. More people should really give this one a go; if you enjoyed Wonder, this will surely be a form of enjoyment for you.

You see, I'm not much of a middle grade reader. I obviously used to adore that genre, however, I normally do not pick up those books these days as I find that they don't usually fit my interests. Nevertheless, to re-emphasize, this book was different. I highly recommend grabbing it and spending two hours and one sitting reading it.






I'd like to applaud Robert Hoge and the publisher of this book for creating such a great read. It's always refreshing to hear about authors' perspectives on their own personal struggles, and Ugly was a success. 

*A review copy was provided by the publisher in exchange for a honest review. Thank you so much!*

What are some other memoirs similar to this and Wonder?

No comments :

Post a Comment

I love comments, I always read them, they always make my day and help me improve my posts. Thank you!