The Possibility of Now by Kim Culbertson // Cheesy But Enjoyable

Monday 9 July 2018
The Possibility of Now, by Kim Culbertson
Publication: January 26, 2016, by Point
Genre: Young Adult Fiction, Contemporary, Romance
Pages: 304
Source: Purchased
Format: Paperback
Rating: 

Mara James has always been a perfectionist with a plan. But despite years of overachieving at her elite school, Mara didn't plan on having a total meltdown during her calculus exam. Like a rip-up-the-test-and-walk-out kind of meltdown. And she didn't plan on a video of it going viral. And she definitely didn't plan on never wanting to show her face again.
Mara knows she should go back, but suddenly she doesn't know why she's been overachieving all these years. Impulsively, she tells her mom she wants to go live with her estranged dad in Tahoe. Maybe in a place like Tahoe, where people go to get away from everyday life, and with a dad like Trick McHale, a ski bum avoiding the real world, Mara can figure things out.
Only Tahoe is nothing like she thought. There are awesome new friends and hot boys and a chance to finally get to know Trick, but there is also still massive amounts of schoolwork. Can Mara stopping planning long enough to see the life that's happening right now?

My Thoughts:

While writing this review, I just realized that the author of this novel is Kim Culbertson, author of Catch a Falling Star, another book published by Point which was a horrendously cheesy story I did not enjoy. I think that if I was aware of that beforehand, there would have been a large chance that I wouldn't have picked this one up. The Possibility of Now was a cheesy chick-lit contemporary romance, but, as you can see, it was a 4-star read, meaning that I did enjoy the cheesiness. The storyline was quite predictable, but I must admit that it was interesting and unique, as it is quite rare to read a YA book set in a ski resort or even California. This was a lovely coming-of-age story about a protagonist quite similar to myself, who is a perfectionist and enjoys succeeding in schoolwork.

Mara James lives in San Diego with her mother, stepbrothers and stepfather, far away from the ski-filled adventurous life her absent father is living in Lake Tahoe. After a humiliating event in which Mara has a panic attack over a calculus exam, she decides that it is better for her to head to Lake Tahoe to relax and rejuvenate for a few months. There, she is forced to confront her absent father and meet new friends, who are skiers. And of course, a romance blossoms.

For the first hundred pages or so, I wasn't too into the book. I found that it was a little juvenile and typical for a contemporary romance, however, I later found that it became difficult to put down, as I was curious to see how Mara would enjoy her life of living in Northern California, and being away from a competitive environment which her old school in San Diego had. I found myself really relating to Mara and her character, even though her whole list-making ideology became a little annoying at times. However, I just found this entire story to be a feel-good read.







The Possibility of Now was a lovely read which I recommend to people of all ages. I adored the romance, the characters, and the setting of this all.


What are some of the recent 'light' books you've read?

2 comments :

I love comments, I always read them, they always make my day and help me improve my posts. Thank you!