Into the Water by Paula Hawkins // Not Understanding the Hype

Friday 13 July 2018
Into the Water, by Paula Hawkins
Publication: May 2, 2017, by Riverhead Books
Genre: Adult Fiction, Mystery, Thriller
Pages: 386
Format: Hardcover
Source: Publisher
Rating: 

In the last days before her death, Nel called her sister. Jules didn’t pick up the phone, ignoring her plea for help. Now Nel is dead. They say she jumped. And Jules has been dragged back to the one place she hoped she had escaped for good, to care for the teenage girl her sister left behind. But Jules is afraid. So afraid. Of her long-buried memories, of the old Mill House, of knowing that Nel would never have jumped. And most of all she’s afraid of the water, and the place they call the Drowning Pool . . .

My Thoughts:

DNF @ 150 pages

Paula Hawkins always *seemed* like an author whose writing I will one day enjoy. In case you didn't know, I am the biggest fan of psychological thrillers, so, naturally, Into the Water really intrigued me. I never read (or watched) The Girl on the Train, though after hearing about all its hype, I figured that this new release would be the kind of read I would enjoy. I was completely wrong, let's say that. This book was not my cup of tea—I was really disappointed with its outcome, and found that there are many, MANY better thrillers out there that I will surely enjoy in the coming future. 


From my viewpoint, Paula Hawkins' writing is so overhyped. I don't understand why everyone is going crazy: have y'all not read other better thrillers before? B.A. Paris? Mary Kubica? UGH. This book was really confusing (with the millions of perspectives - I couldn't tell who was who by the time I reached page sixty) and it lacked any kind of plot. I hate when this happens during my reading experience; aren't books supposed to have a purpose and a plot? Well, this unfortunately lacked any sort of purpose and interesting writing style that would allow me to want to pay attention to the storyline (or lack thereof). I really disliked this book, and I must say that it's one of the worst I've read in a while. I don't think I've ever been disappointed by a psychological thriller, but Paula Hawkins' newest story just did that. I can say I'm absolutely disappointed; I'd never pick this one up again. 






Into the Water was a complete disappointment. Trust me: do not risk being confused and bored; read other thrillers!
*A review copy was provided by the publisher in exchange for a honest review. Thank you so much!*

What is the worst book of 2018 for you?

No comments :

Post a Comment

I love comments, I always read them, they always make my day and help me improve my posts. Thank you!