Summer of Sloane by Erin L. Schneider // A Lovely, Chill Read

Tuesday 31 July 2018
Summer of Sloane, by Erin L. Schneider
Publication: May 3, 2016, by Disney-Hyperion
Genre: Young Adult Fiction, Contemporary, Romance
Pages: 304
Format: Hardcover
Source: BEA/Publisher
Rating: 

Warm Hawaiian sun. Lazy beach days. Flirty texts with her boyfriend back in Seattle.
These are the things seventeen-year-old Sloane McIntyre pictured when she imagined the summer she’d be spending at her mom’s home in Hawaii with her twin brother, Penn. Instead, after learning an unthinkable secret about her boyfriend, Tyler, and best friend, Mick, all she has is a fractured hand and a completely shattered heart.
Once she arrives in Honolulu, though, Sloane hopes that Hawaii might just be the escape she needs. With beach bonfires, old friends, exotic food, and the wonders of a waterproof cast, there’s no reason Sloane shouldn’t enjoy her summer. And when she meets Finn McAllister, the handsome son of a hotel magnate who doesn’t always play by the rules, she knows he’s the perfect distraction from everything that’s so wrong back home.
But it turns out a measly ocean isn’t nearly enough to stop all the emails, texts, and voicemails from her ex-boyfriend and ex-best friend, desperate to explain away their betrayal. And as her casual connection with Finn grows deeper, Sloane’s carefree summer might not be as easy to find as she’d hoped. Weighing years of history with Mick and Tyler against their deception, and the delicate possibility of new love, Sloane must decide when to forgive, and when to live for herself.

My Thoughts:

Summer of Sloane especially intrigued me due to the fact that it takes place in Hawaii. Which, in case you haven't noticed, is paradise. Paradise to me and paradise to everyone else. Contemporary-romance is probably my favourite YA genre at the moment, so mixing a story that I love with a setting I adore is a dream come true. Erin L. Schneider did a beautiful job writing a story that will mess with your emotions and make you question your friendships and relationships, to be quite honest. It's a book that every teenager should take a whack at, and the best part is its setting, showing readers a great summer story that will make your heart happy.

From the first page, we readers are introduced to the story's main issue, which is what the entire plot basically revolves around. Sloane, our protagonist, lives in Seattle with her divorced father and twin brother, Penn, and one day discovers that her boyfriend cheated on her with her best friend, and got her pregnant. OOOF. If you think ordinary cheating is bad, this takes it to another level. Obviously, Sloane freaks out, and the next thing she knows is that she's taking a plane to Hawaii to spend the summer with her mother and her stepdad. This is a perfect way for Sloane to get away from all of the stress and frustration that she is reminded of when she thinks of home. And of course, Sloane meets another guy and the entire story is created.


What this story lacked is a better focus on family relationships. The author spent a lot of time talking about the cheating 'incident' and how Sloane really feels about it, and I felt that this got a little tiring after 100 pages. I felt that there was more to the story's purpose than just the cheating incident, and this fell short. I wish that the author spent more 'book time' creating a better relationship between Sloane and her mother, who she only really sees once a year. The whole explanation of the divorce and all that seemed really rushed, and for a teenage audience, I felt that it is important to explain these kinds of topics. This would have especially helped us see that everything is not just about romance.

Summer of Sloane was a really quick read (took me two sittings to complete), and a very summery one. I loved the extra touch of this meaningful setting, and how the author really made readers feel as if they were in Hawaii. I recognized all of the Hawaiian/Honolulu references, having visited there myself twice, and I loved the island vibes. Agh—I wish more books explored this setting; I would read them all.






I love these kinds of books where I can just enjoy summer and have an enjoyable experience. Erin L. Schneider's is one of them. Read this as soon as possible. 

Are there any books that have taken place in Hawaii?

2 comments :

  1. I NEED TO READ THIS!!! It sounds like the perfect summery read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You SO have to! I hope you read it and fall in love with it just like I did! :)

      Delete

I love comments, I always read them, they always make my day and help me improve my posts. Thank you!