Pawn, by Aimée Carter

Friday 1 August 2014



Pawn (The Blackcoat Rebellion #1), by Aimée Carter

Genre: Young Adult Fiction, Dystopia, Romance

Rating: 4/5 stars

Publication: November 26, 2013, by Harlequin Teen

Format: Hardcover Edition (borrowed)



Goodreads Summary: YOU CAN BE A VII. IF YOU GIVE UP EVERYTHING. 

For Kitty Doe, it seems like an easy choice. She can either spend her life as a III in misery, looked down upon by the higher ranks and forced to leave the people she loves, or she can become a VII and join the most powerful family in the country. 

If she says yes, Kitty will be Masked—surgically transformed into Lila Hart, the Prime Minister's niece, who died under mysterious circumstances. As a member of the Hart family, she will be famous. She will be adored. And for the first time, she will matter. 

There's only one catch. She must also stop the rebellion that Lila secretly fostered, the same one that got her killed and one Kitty believes in. Faced with threats, conspiracies and a life that's not her own, she must decide which path to choose—and learn how to become more than a pawn in a twisted game she's only beginning to understand.

Review:

  "For the rest of my life, I would have someone else's face, answer to someone else's name, live someone else's life. But at least I would be alive. I breathed in slowly, forcing myself not to panic. I was still me, wasn't I? I still felt like me. I still thought like me. They couldn't take that away no matter what the did to my body. I might have looked like Lila Hart, but I was still Kitty Doe."

    I have read Aimée's books through The Goddess Trilogy, and I have found that she's a great talented author that really has a passion for creating great characters and stories with great premises. Pawn was awesome, and so kick-ass and adventurous.

    It's been seventy one years since America has disintegrated into ashes, and the world has changed so much. Being a VII can change everything. For Kitty, if she becomes one, she can become part of the most powerful family in the country. She would be Masked, formed into Lila Hart, the Prime Minister's niece, who got murdered. She's basically taking her place, and she would be adored. She must stop the rebellion that Lila fostered and the one that got her killed.  

    This was mainly an action novel with sass. Kitty, the protagonist had sass and class and was all badass. I loved her.


        Here, we finally have a dystopian novel that shows many sorts of originality. We normally don't find that and get remakes of The Hunger Games, but here, Aimée Carter has come up with something awesome and that gets readers thinking. Getting your whole life planned out for you when you're seventeen doesn't seem like a reality to me.
   
        The plot was very well-formed. The book was fast paced and got to the point in a matter of chapters. It was a very quick read that got me thinking. I recommend it, absolutely. 

         Kitty was absolutely likeable, but I had a problem with the other characters. I didn't like the romance (even though it was hardly there for like 5% and the rest was action) and Benjiy (however you spell his name) was a total ass who was selfish. The bad guys were pretty awesome, and written nicely. 

         The other disadvantage in my eyes was that the world was unexplained. I didn't catch too much about the world and why everything has come to be. Hopefully, in the next two books, the author will make it more clear to us on the "why" part of things. 

          The ending of this book was very captivating, and I am truly looking forward for the sequel that's coming soon!

8 comments :

  1. Kitty sounds awesome! I'm not familiar with the author since I haven't read her other trilogy but I do have The Goddess Trilogy on my tablet so will read it someday for sure ;) Ohoh, I do love a developed world-building...hmm...I guess not every book can have it all. Fantastic review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My friend read this one and I think she gave it three stars? Not bad :) I did like Aimee Carter's Goddess Trilogy despite the angst-fest it had, so I want to see how she will fare now with a dystopic premise.

    Faye at The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
  3. HIT GIRL!!! I literally screamed out loud when I saw her. If I ever read Pawn that's what I'm going to imagine Kitty look like.

    I only read 2 books from the Goddess trilogy and I'm so so glad that Carter seemed to deliver such a promising dystopian novel. I'm also glad that Kitty is sassy and bad-ass and despite it being a fast-paced novel, it's still thought-provoking. I really hope the world-building gets better in the upcoming installments and that the guy with the hard-to-spell name would grow up and stop being a jerk. xD

    Lovely review, Michelle!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lola: I have to admit that The Goddess Trilogy wasn't my favourite. I loved the first book, and then found the sequel okay. I never went onto the last book, but I've heard a lot of spoilers on what happened so I don't think I'll ever get to it. But I've always enjoyed Aimee's work, so I knew that I wouldn't be disappointed with this one. :) Yes! Thanks a million, Lola!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Faye: OMG, YES. That trilogy had a huge angst obsession going on. It killed me. :') I only read the first two books (I loved the first, but the sequel disappointed me) and never went onto the third because of those damn spoilers. *tisk tisk* I think that Aimee's better off writing dystopias. I really have a feeling that you'll like this one, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sarah: LOLOL! I have been wanting to use a Hit Girl gif for a long time, and I felt that it was perfect to use in this review all thanks to Kitty's kick-ass-ness.

    Same here! I've only read the first two and the #2.5 novella. I've never gone onto the last book and I think that I probably won't. Haha, "and that guy with the hard-to-spell name would grow up and stop being a jerk." You literally kill me, Sarah! :') Thanks, hun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally agree, there wasn't much of a world here but I just loved all of the twists and turns within the book! Benji was kind of boring, but I loved Kitty as a character.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The twists and turns were basically my favourite part of the book! Aimee Carter really creates good plots! Yeah, Benji sure wasn't the hero here. He didn't really take any risks to make sure Kitty is okay and just went with the flow. In some situations, that's okay, but I don't think that was a good role for him here. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, I always read them, they always make my day and help me improve my posts. Thank you!