Teardrop by Lauren Kate // I've Outgrown This

Saturday 10 October 2015
Teardrop (Teardrop #1), by Lauren Kate
Publication: October 22, 2013, by Delacorte Books
Genre: Young Adult Fiction, Paranormal, Romance
Pages: 441
Format: Hardcover
Source: Gifted
Rating: ½


Seventeen-year-old Eureka won't let anyone close enough to feel her pain. After her mother was killed in a freak accident, the things she used to love hold no meaning. She wants to escape, but one thing holds her back: Ander, the boy who is everywhere she goes, whose turquoise eyes are like the ocean. And then Eureka uncovers an ancient tale of romance and heartbreak, about a girl who cried an entire continent into the sea. Suddenly her mother's death and Ander's appearance seem connected, and her life takes on dark undercurrents that don't make sense. Can everything you love be washed away?

My Thoughts:

I'M OVER BOOKS LIKE THIS, PERIOD. As you might've heard before, I am a total hater of paranormal books. It's the freaking worst genre. I've read tons of books in the past and I just can't stand to read about some forbidden romance where someone has some "cool" power to save the world. This isn't about superheroes either, people. It's just about a seventeen-year-old who goes through modern contemporary issues, like loss, and with that "extra-special" power of crying and flooding the world. Can this get even cheesier? I need something to help me forget about this. *jokes*



Lauren Kate delivers a novel, the start to a series that's completely not for me. It's not that I've read something like it, either. I just suspected that I'd enjoy it because... it was written by her, an author whose books I have loved in the past. I wonder if I gave Fallen a chance again, what would've happened this time around. It certainly would've been humouring, that's for sure.

Teardrop is boring, pointless and senseless. I don't see anything special about it, except for the beginning portion of the novel, perhaps. The writing is weak, the characterization and relationship-making is weak, and the romance is downright suspicious. The whole freaking novel is suspicious, for that matter. Some authors aren't meant to be writing about the same kind of concept over and over again after they had once succeeded. And first we should talk about how this was 'trying to be interesting.'

Look at the names, for goodness' sake. Eureka? Ander? Having to read about a girl who tried so hard to be different, though also trying to show that she was ordinary at the same time. It's like she complained about her being ordinary, but then didn't want to draw attention to herself. *shrugs* I was barely into this book, which somehow left me questioning why hadn't I DNFed it. I'm too much of a good person. 




SO I HAD HIGH HOPES. I was ready to adore it, make a special place on my bookshelf of read books for it, kiss the cover an endless amount of times. I can only dream about that. The story was weak, not really formed to a great "paranormal way" and it's like the concept of teardrops had come out of nowhere, only relating to the fact that Eureka was trying to get over her mother's death. That's just about it. The beginning started off well and strong, not really getting into the main storyline until Eureka met Ander, a weird stalkerish figure who thought that he actually "loves" her.

Love? Is that the author's definition of love? Watching a mysterious girl from afar, knowing everything about her and ready to take a quiz on her, her being okay with it all? That's completely downright outrageous. There was no connection, no nothing except weirdness and a strange context. I don't even feel like analyzing the story and trying to see what the characters actually represented because they were as plain as water, without any fizz or pizzaz.  









If this hadn't been written by Lauren Kate or had a great, stellar cover, I don't think that I would've picked it up. When I look back, I probably wouldn't have remembered anything about this bland story except for the fact that it was boring. The names? Nope. Thank goodness I read the summary again, because you would've been reading a review written by a confused woman, just saying. Teardrop isn't a book that's too raved about, so I'd go into it with a harsh tone, only expecting the worst possible route out of it. Good luck, because you should always remember that there are books in the world that are much worse than that one. *laughs* At least there were a few pros. 


Are you into paranormal-romance? I find that the whole Twilight and Vampire Diaries fandom kind of took the goodness out of it. I hope I don't have anything in the genre on my shelves now!

2 comments :

  1. Ack, I am sorry this was such a horrid read for you! I haven't read any Lauren Kate novels, but none of them seem to jump out at me, I do like my paranormal reads but hers have never sounded unique enough for me to pick up before and I definitely don't think I will be reading this one. Especially with the character having the name Eureka. I hate that name, argh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eegh. Yeah, especially by looking at modern YA paranormal reads, authors are just coming up with more and more original stories which I love, and which will probably bring me back into falling in love with this genre once more! But I definitely wouldn't go for this one, even if you're a lover of its genre. What has happened to this once-amazing author's writing? :O

      Delete

I love comments, I always read them, they always make my day and help me improve my posts. Thank you!