BEA 2015 Recap: Day 3

Thursday 11 June 2015

Day 3: May 29, 2015

Here comes the summertime sadness... and the official final day of BEA. Don't get me wrong, I still have two more posts having to do with this glorious time of my life, but you know—BEA is over after the 29th. And this, I say, is the day where I got the most books, had the most fun and enjoyed the event the most, even though I wasn't present for the whole 8-hour period. SIGHTSEEING, HERE I COME!

I spent my time taking final photos! *sobs*
As you may have heard, Hachette was a publisher who constantly had galley drops and signings happening. If I had to wander around, I'd go to Hachette's booth, just saying. *winks* They weren't the most organized around as they'd state that their lines aren't official when they later turned into that official line, but I loved the books they had! *grins* It was also right next to the Diary of a Wimpy Kid photo booth at Abrams. Which ruled. 

Everyone was getting James Patterson t-shirts!
I actually got two t-shirts at BEA: a James Patterson one, which was handed out on Friday, and then an Endgame one from HarperCollins at BookCon. YOU CAN SEE THE HUGE BOOTH SIGNS HANGING FROM THE CEILING. Who says you need a map when you've got those signs? Those are the best things ever, and I now know that I'll never make a map again since I barely used mine. The spreadsheet did help tons and tons, though.

This day was also my sister's birthday, which made everything ten times better since she also tagged along with my mom and I. She actually had SO much fun, and is one of the reasons why we headed to BookCon on Saturday when I originally wasn't planning to. I'm pretty sure she brought back about 40 books for herself, although I'm the pure reader in the family.

I arrived at the Center after a yummy breakfast at the hotel around opening time, a little later though. Grabbing some coffee from the epic Starbucks overpriced line and checking in our luggage at the coat check, I headed inside, beelining straight to Penguin Random House's booth to grab a galley of Colleen Houck's (FAVOURITE AUTHOR) newest gorgeous pretty, Reawakened as well as another pretty, Stone Rider. We all got tickets, and the line was just pick up and go. AWESOME ORGANIZATION.

Right afterwards, I ran straight to Kenneth Oppel and Jon Klassen's signing of The Nest, a highly anticipated read of mine! They were so awesome! Their signing was from 9:30-10:00, but many people showed up and they took everything to another table just to meet fans! (I found out that they hang out really close to my house, drive around my city, WHICH IS MEGA-COOL.) 

WOOOO! Fangirl alert!
Friday was a huge day for Sourcebooks giveaways. By the end of the day, a ton of the books I had were from them, since I ended up staying at the Center until the exhibits closed after hearing that publishers like to giveaway display copies and such. They were awesome, as well as Soho Teen and Algonquin Young Readers! 

Afterwards, around 11, I left the Center, leaving my frantic mom behind to head over to the signings that I was really looking forward to, so I can be a pure New Yorker tourist and head onto the big red buses with the outdoor roofs!

Macy's, the biggest in the world!
I had a blast. How was I supposed to say that I went to New York without sightseeing? There's so much to do in the city, and SO much that I missed to do, but I know that I'll be back. Next time: Broadway and Statue of Liberty ferry tour. I must say that the BOOKS were on my mind most of the time!


Eyyyy! Hey fellow tourists!


Taxies are everywhere, I tell you.


Madison Square Garden!
After being here in the busiest city of the world, I admit that I would definitely live here if I had the chance and if everything worked out. I even explored the NYU campus and shop, and felt like at home! Who knows? Imagine living in an apartment seeing the gorgeous lights of SoHo outside of your window! AGGGGH, that's heaven. Toronto's nothing compared to the beauties of this city. I even saw Taylor Swift's condo!

A few hours later, after seeing a ton but experiencing a lot of time in traffic (hell yeah, it's normal for everyone) I decided to head back to the Javits, so I can spend some quality time with the Center that honestly left me shedding tears. I met up with my mom, and began to look over the last of my schedule!

While I was in line for Lynn Weingarten's signing of Suicide Notes from Beautiful Girls, (which honestly is a signing and moment that I'll never forget, I'll show you photos of her signature later and explain the story), I met Dahlia Alder in line! My mom actually went to her signing earlier (WHICH I WAS DYING TO GO TO) and literally fangirled when I saw her!



She's adorable! 
Wandering and looking at the remaining booths that I haven't gone to (though I never ended up going to the China exhibit or Polish Book Institute of America, since I am Polish), I headed to Scholastic and HMH, two booths that had books I always wanted but I never ended up getting and had a stellar time.

AND THEN. AND THEN. AND THEN. I WENT TO SIMON AND SCHUSTER'S BOOTH AND SAW THE AMAZING ELLEN HOPKINS THERE, BESIDE A STACK OF HER NEWEST NOVEL, TRAFFICK. MY MOM ALREADY HAD IT SIGNED FOR ME, which made (and ruined) my day but I couldn't be there...
You're so AMAZING AND AGHHHHHH ASDFGHIKL
BEA was simply composed of moments that changed my life forever, really. Did I ever mention my luck of finding ARCs at random locations that people left behind? I found Eileen, an adult mystery that I AM SO EXCITED FOR beside the door, just sitting there, a random copy of Upside-Down Magic by Sarah Mlynowski somewhere too, and grabbed endless amounts of LAST ARCs in a bunch. EEEE!

Adi Alsaid! I wish I met you!
And then afterwards, my mom mentions that she went to the Harlequin Teen Hour where Eleanor Forman, Adi Alsaid, Kady Cross and Katie McGarry all were signing, WHO WERE AT THE BREAKFAST I MISSED. I literally squealed and couldn't believe it, as that signing crossed my mind. Thank goodness she was there and looked at the schedule! *sends kisses*


Kady Cross! (Used to live in my hometown!)
Harlequin was a publisher who never had any galley drops? There were only signings, and those were FULL OF PEOPLE ALWAYS. I found out that this Teen Hour wasn't as busy as the first, but was super organized. Glad to hear!


Another gorgeous sign!
I left the Center around 5:30? Something like that. My day and life was complete with so many gorgeous new reads and it couldn't have been done without: my mom, my scheduling, THE AMAZING PUBLISHER AND AUTHORS AND ADVICE BY ALL OF YOU FANTASTIC BLOGGERS! I'll get to the thanks part on Monday's post, but you know what I mean. I actually thought that this would be the last time I'd be in the Javits... never expecting to go to BookCon the next day. Here's Friday's haul:


57 gorgeous reads this time around!


FRIDAY WAS AMAZING AND AWESOME. HOW WAS YOUR FINAL DAY OF BEA, IF YOU WENT?! Liked anything from my haul?!


4 comments :

  1. New York is so beautiful, I've always wanted go! Glad you had a good time and BEA, hopefully I'll get to go one day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I always wanted to go as well! *tears up* Thanks, Zoe, I certainly did, and I hope that you'll get to attend soon! :)

      Delete
  2. Your day looked amazing! It's cool that you got to do a bit of sightseeing around New York as well. Also, in that pile of books, do I see The Returned? I know that name because it's the title of a French series (which was, naturally, remade in America) about a group of children who died in a bus accident who randomly turn up alive, years later, having remembered nothing of the crash. We watched the first episode in one of my French classes (because that's what we do in Transition Year in Ireland) and it was pretty interesting (the showrunners also had a pretty great taste in music because the score was done by Mogwai and one of the girl's rooms had posters of bands like Sonic Youth, Nirvana and Flying Lotus). Basically, after all that rambling, I was wondering if they were the same, or if the book you have is the novelised version/original of whatever. Great post, I'm glad you enjoyed your time, and well done of finding the random ARCs too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW, RIGHT?!!! Yes, it is The Returned! When I spotted it and read the summary, my grabby hands went out of control! It looks fabulous, and I love the idea! (I'll definitely have to watch the show, too!) Ooooo Nirvana! *high fives girl* IT LOOKS AMAZINGGGGG!! Thank you so much, Killian! <33 (I'll let you know what I think of it!)

      Delete

I love comments, I always read them, they always make my day and help me improve my posts. Thank you!