The Patron Saint of Butterflies, by Cecilia Galante

Friday 5 July 2013


Title: The Patron Saint of Butterflies
Author: Cecilia Galante
Rating: 4/5 stars
Release Date: April 1, 2008
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Format: Hardcover Edition
Goodreads Average Rating: 3.87
Age Group: 11+
Would I Recommend: No doubt about it!

    I remember when I first saw this novel at the store. It was sitting there on the shelf, it's gorgeous cover peeking towards me. I couldn't believe it that it was such a bargain, $2! I ran towards it, picked it up, skimmed through the captivating summary, and voila, I bought it.

    I've never had much trust in bargain books, what they call the lower-priced novels at my bookstore. They most of the time were really crappy, and got a bad rating in my opinion. I thought that this one also would be one of them. Seriously, it's been sitting in my bookshelf for about half a year. Now, I'm thinking, why didn't I pick it up sooner?

    "There is nothing greater than love; it is stronger than any evil, any darkness. Show me the way, Jesus! Love is the answer. If we love one another, then we need not fear anything else. Love is everything."

     The Patron Saint of Butterflies is a two-perspective novel, with both Agnes and Honey, best friends since birth, as the narrators. Both girls are totally different, Agnes plans to become a saint as she grows older, and Honey is the one who can't wait to get out of the town of Mount Blessing, the religious Catholic town outside of Connecticut where 260 other people live, and follow the rules of the Bible, and what Jesus Christ has wanted us to do. Everyone's lifestyles are strict, and hardly anyone gets the sense of the real life out there, disturbances are the fear.

     When Agnes' grandmother, Nana Pete, unexpectedly visits the commune, she starts convincing the girls that the life out there is better, and is not wrong. When a disturbing event occurs, Nana Pete convinces the girls to leave Mount Blessing, and to go into the world of secrets and reality.

      I adored this storyline. It's totally unique, I don't think that I've ever read a religious book before, so this was a first. I felt wildly captivated, I didn't want to speak to anyone until I was done. Without the deep dark secret that Mount Blessing hides, I'd love to live in this world for a day, Agnes and Honey would be my best friends. 

      Agnes is a character that someone would describe as independent, and of course, heroic. She's very confident of what she wants to do, and follows the rules of life. I think that she was my favourite character, I got super excited when her chapter came along.

     Honey was the rebel here. Watching TV when it's forbidden, going against the rules, she's that girl that you would want to sneak out with. Although she did have her ups and downs, Honey did end up as another great heroine for me. She had a lot to take in by the end, and I thought that her story is realistic.

     This book was beautiful, that's what I describe it. I felt like an angel reading this one, watching throughout the heavens, okay, I think that it influenced me a little too much, haha. 

     I hope that you will pick this one up, you maybe won't find it anywhere, but that's the key, it's just that good to not be anywhere, you'll have to seek for it.

No comments :

Post a Comment

I love comments, I always read them, they always make my day and help me improve my posts. Thank you!