The Catcher in the Rye, by J.D. Salinger

Friday 15 November 2013

Title: The Catcher in the Rye

Author: J.D. Salinger

Rating: 4/5 stars

Release Date: January 30, 2001

Publisher: Back Bay Books

Format: Paperback Edition

Goodreads Average Rating: 3.76

Age Group: 13+





    I've heard a lot about this book, and how it relates to us teenagers. Apparently it was supposed to be about a guy in the 20th century who got expelled out of prep school, and flees out to New York City to live the dream. I feel that it was more than that. It was pure excellence.

    Holden was somewhat like myself, except for the whiny attitude he kept up throughout the novel. I liked that he knew what he wanted, but then he didn't. He was unsure of himself, though his confidence and independence throughout the book kept him happy and lively.

     Even though this was published in 1951, to me, it's more of a YA novel that appeals to the lives of teenagers today. We can sometimes be reckless and wild, but we usually have a good reason for it, and are the most confident people on this Earth, we can definitely rule it using our knowledge. We are wise, living like we've lived for years, and Holden really taught me that throughout the novel, even though it wasn't crystal clear made out to us.

     I loved this book because it had a meaning that was greater than the words themselves. It's a classic that I'm sure to read again in the coming years, I never re-read books again, so that must mean something.

   

No comments :

Post a Comment

I love comments, I always read them, they always make my day and help me improve my posts. Thank you!