Every You, Every Me, by David Levithan and Jonathan Farmer

Sunday 23 March 2014





Every You, Every Me, by David Levithan and Jonathan Farmer

Genre: Young Adult Fiction, Contemporary

Rating: 4/5 stars










Goodreads Summary: "In this high school-set psychological tale, a tormented teen named Evan starts to discover a series of unnerving photographs—some of which feature him. Someone is stalking him . . . messing with him . . . threatening him. Worse, ever since his best friend Ariel has been gone, he's been unable to sleep, spending night after night torturing himself for his role in her absence. And as crazy as it sounds, Evan's starting to believe it's Ariel that's behind all of this, punishing him. But the more Evan starts to unravel the mystery, the more his paranoia and insomnia amplify, and the more he starts to unravel himself. Creatively told with black-and-white photos interspersed between the text so the reader can see the photos that are so unnerving to Evan, Every You, Every Me is a one-of-a-kind departure from a one-of-a-kind author."


Review:



Ahaha, so this is what I really felt like while I was reading this book, but hey, not in a bad or negative way. Most of the time, I was just like "Hey! Oh yeah! That point there's cool! Where's the next interesting thing?" I was kind of lost reading this book, but I don't know if it was just me.

This definitely is not one of David Levithan's best novels. I loved how he chose this to be written with photographs, that is absolutely hipster and gorgeous all at the same time.

"This is it. This is what it feels like to be helpless."

I felt so bad for Evan, the protagonist. I felt like he was going through some sort of depression throughout the whole story. I thought that the ending would be totally different and unpredictable, I actually thought that it was all in his mind. 



This book was so mysterious, I didn't know what to think! It's a different style than what the author usually masters, so please note that. It's very captivating because you just want to know what will happen in the end.

Although it was heart-racing and the romance was beautiful, I didn't like the ending. I wish that it was unpredictable and how David usually ends his outstanding novels. There should've something that made me go and say, "WOW," but I really didn't find that.

Ariel was strange, even though we didn't fully know her. I kept on feeling that she didn't want to hear or see Evan, and all that she was doing was hiding away from the world.

In my opinion, I think that depression and suicide plays a large key in this novel. It's not 100% clear that it's there, but it is, and us readers have to think outside the box to actually see it clearly. It's a deep story, and the photography does a job well done for the overall project.

It was definitely a fresh and light-hearted novel that will give you some emotional thoughts inside.



No comments :

Post a Comment

I love comments, I always read them, they always make my day and help me improve my posts. Thank you!