Mister Death's Blue-Eyed Girls, by Mary Downing Hahn

Sunday 16 March 2014





Mister Death's Blue-Eyed Girls, by Mary Downing Hahn

Genre: Young Adult Fiction, Mystery-Thriller-Murder

Rating: 4/5 stars











Goodreads Summary: "Based on an actual crime in 1955, this YA novel is at once a mystery and a coming-of-age story. The brutal murder of two teenage girls on the last day of Nora Cunningham's junior year in high school throws Nora into turmoil. Her certainties, friendships, religion, her prudence, her resolve to find a boyfriend taller than she is - are shaken or cast off altogether. 

Most people in Elmgrove, Maryland, share the comforting conviction that Buddy Novak, who had every reason to want his ex-girlfriend dead, is responsible for the killings. Nora agrees at first, then begins to doubt Buddy's guilt, and finally comes to believe him innocent - the lone dissenting voice in Elmgrove.

Told from several different perspectives, including that of the murderer, Mister Death's Blue-Eyed Girls is a suspenseful page-turner with a powerful human drama at its core."



Review:


  • Please note that this is a chilling novel, it's definitely not the most happiest thing you've read. Mary Downing Hahn has created a gorgeous spectacular coming-of-age novel about friendship, tragedy, and heartbreak. 
  • I loved reading this, I read it in a breeze. Although the events were tough and tragic for the alive main characters, it was a very light read. You could definitely be in any mood to read this, and it will probably make your day better. This is not a depressing read, it's more chilling and fascinating. 
  • Nora probably had to be my favourite character, as well as poor Cheryl. They both were energetic and had a gorgeous personality. They were calm and could deal with things well, and I probably would want them as my friends because of their friendliness and sympathy. 
  • This book really didn't make me sad. In fact, it made me think about life differently. Beautifully written and enjoyable! I wanted more romance!

No comments :

Post a Comment

I love comments, I always read them, they always make my day and help me improve my posts. Thank you!