Where Things Come Back, by John Corey Whaley

Sunday 23 March 2014






Where Things Come Back, by John Corey Whaley

Genre: Young Adult Fiction, Contemporary

Rating: 3/5 stars












   Coming from many positive reviews, I really began to believe that this book would be amazing, the
truth is, it wasn't. I was waiting for that moment where I would just be like "Ahh, what a refreshing fantastic read!" but don't even expect a moment like that to occur while reading this book.


   So, basically we have another of those wannabe contemporary novels with a male protagonist who tries to be chill and somewhat like a character from "The Giver" or one of those bestselling teen novels that almost everyone completely adored.




   Yes, yes, we're having a Hilary Duff marathon over here, don't complain.

   Throughout the novel, I felt like there was something hiding in between the lines, especially about Cullen, the MC. He was very vague, and throughout the whole novel, we really didn't find out much about him. He seemed very depressed and annoying, and I find that teens looking for a kick-ass main character won't find that in him at all. He seemed like a boring teen boy who had no potential in him and no chance of succeeding in life. I really thought that something mental strange was going on with him.

 “Your mind has a way of not letting you forget things you wish you could. Especially with people. Like, you'll always try your best to forget things that people say to you or about you, but you always remember. And you'll try to forget things you've seen that no one should see, but you just can't do it. And when you try to forget someone's face, you can't get it out of your head.”

   This book was full of many life-changing lessons and inspirational quotes. It's written so deeply, and you could definitely tell that there was some sort of backstory behind it all. Just look at that gorgeous quote above. <3

    But the problem was, I wish there was more. The story was too short, and the plot wasn't captivating. I didn't see a main point. LOL, Cullen seemed so desperate and thirsty for romance, it's like he was putting himself towards all of the drama with the ladies, I laughed so many times reading his stupidity with chicks.  





      By the end, I pretty much believed that this wasn't the right book for me. It really wasn't my type. I felt too much negativity towards it, but I feel that a 3 star rating would probably the best for my thoughts and how they were put together.

       I recommend this, don't get me wrong. You will like this book if you like the book "Feed," which I actually never picked up but only have read the summary for. They do sound similar, though.

  






No comments :

Post a Comment

I love comments, I always read them, they always make my day and help me improve my posts. Thank you!