Twisted by Laurie Halse Anderson

Wednesday 12 March 2014
Twisted, by Laurie Halse Anderson
Genre: Young Adult Fiction, Contemporary
Rating: 1.5/5 stars

High school senior Tyler Miller used to be the kind of guy who faded into the background—average student, average looks, average dysfunctional family. But since he got busted for doing graffiti on the school, and spent the summer doing outdoor work to pay for it, he stands out like you wouldn’t believe. His new physique attracts the attention of queen bee Bethany Milbury, who just so happens to be his father’s boss’s daughter, the sister of his biggest enemy—and Tyler’s secret crush. And that sets off a string of events and changes that have Tyler questioning his place in the school, in his family, and in the world.
In Twisted, the acclaimed Laurie Halse Anderson tackles a very controversial subject: what it means to be a man today. Fans and new readers alike will be captured by Tyler’s pitch perfect, funny voice, the surprising narrative arc, and the thoughtful moral dilemmas that are at the heart of all of the author’s award-winning, widely read work.
Review:
  • I've been wanting to buy Laurie Halse Anderson's new novel, The Impossible Knife of Memory, but now, I'm second-guessing my decision. Twisted was a real disaster compared to Speak and Wintergirls, the first two books by Laurie that I've ever read.
  • I found that there was no concept going on here. It was just a plain contemporary where Tyler's life was going on. He wanted Bethany to like him, that's basically it. 
  • I didn't finish this book. I read about three-quarters of it, then put it down because I realized that I was wasting my time. I really didn't like it!
  • In the beginning, it wasn't bad. It kind of was getting somewhere, but then by the near middle, it didn't get anywhere, except to my angry mind. Tyler was a good character. He was likeable and had some sort of sense of direction in him. He knew what he was doing even at the roughest times. I didn't find him and Bethany to be a good match, someone like Melinda from Speak would be his perfect match, in my eyes. 
  • I am so so so disappointed in this book. I figured that it would also be amazing just like the author's other books, hopefully it's only this one and the rest are spectacular just like the were in the beginning. 

No comments :

Post a Comment

I love comments, I always read them, they always make my day and help me improve my posts. Thank you!