How I Live Now, by Meg Rosoff

Tuesday 31 December 2013




How I Live Now,  by Meg Rosoff

Genre: Young Adult Fiction, Contemporary, War and Violence, Dystopian

Other Meg Rosoff Books

Rating: 4.5/5 stars










Goodreads Summary: "Fifteen-year-old New Yorker Daisy is sent to live in the English countryside with cousins she’s never even met. When England is attacked and occupied by an unnamed enemy, the cousins find themselves on their own. Power fails, system fail. As they grow more isolated, the farm becomes a kind of Eden, with no rules. Until the war arrives in their midst.
 Daisy’s is a war story, a survival story, a love story—all told in the voice of a subversive and witty teenager. This book crackles with anxiety and with lust. It’s a stunning and unforgettable first novel that captures the essence of the age of terrorism: how we live now."



Review:



This was me during and after reading the book. It was perfection.


  • When I read the summary of the book, I was ultimately sucked in, it sounded so good, and I never have really read any books about futuristic wars. Having this to be taken place in the near future was amazing and it's different than anything else I've read.
  • I adored this book, you just don't understand. Meg Rosoff is an unstoppable author, her words and thoughts are just stunning, I could be in her mind all day.
  • This was so fast-paced, one moment you were here, the next there. I never got bored and it was perfect.
  • Daisy was a fantastic character. She was independent and confident, event though she had some bad thoughts going on in her mind at the time. I loved her narration, and love for her cousins.
  • Piper was adorable, I could eat her up. I cried whenever she cried and it just hurt to see a little girl like her suffering and without a mother at the time. 
  • The only thing that both the book and the movie didn't mention was- who Eddie was. I mean, was it just me that thought that he was Daisy's cousin? I was confused, so that's why the .5 of the rating was missing.
  • Overall, I am without words for this book. It's definitely one of my favourites, and will be forever. I cried, I laughed, I went through so many different feelings when reading this book.


           I already had purchased the movie before I even got the book, but never watched it, so right after reading the book, it wasn't too late, so I put the movie on and watched it with my also emotional mom. We sat there crying, and feeling all of the emotions that the characters were feeling. Some things were different I may say, *SPOILER ALERT* the movie didn't talk about how long the war lasted, or how Daisy ended up in the hospital in New York, or how her Aunt Penn died. Eddie never got hurt either in the book. Things were different, but I adored both the movie and the book so dearly. I will read it and watch it over and over again.


No comments :

Post a Comment

I love comments, I always read them, they always make my day and help me improve my posts. Thank you!