Phoenix, by Elizabeth Richards

Monday 28 July 2014



Phoenix (Black City #2), by Elizabeth Richards

Genre: Young Adult Fiction, Paranormal. Fantasy, Vampires, Romance, Mystery

Rating: 4/5 stars

Publication: June 4, 2013, by Putnam Juvenile

Format: ebook



Goodreads Summary: Ash and Natalie are just starting to build a life together when things in the United Sentry States go from bad to worse. Ash and Natalie find themselves at the center of turmoil when dictator Purian Rose threatens Natalie’s life unless Ash votes in favor of Rose’s Law—a law that will send Darklings and other dissenters to a deadly concentration camp known as the Tenth.

When Ash can’t bring himself to trade Natalie’s life for those of millions of Darklings, her fate is sealed. Enter Elijah Theroux, the handsome Bastet boy Natalie once saved from her mother’s labs, where he’d been experimented on and tortured. It was his venom the Sentry used to create the lethal Golden Haze, the heart of the government conspiracy that led to Black City’s uprising and Ash’s rebirth as the Phoenix, the face of the rebellion. Elijah is back and Ash doesn’t like him; it’s clear he’s taken with Natalie, and Ash fears she may have feelings for him as well.

But Elijah also may have the answer to taking down Purian Rose for good—a powerful weapon called the Ora. Ash, Natalie and Elijah just have to escape Black City undetected to find it. But fleeing the city and finding this weapon (if it even exists) are easier said than done, and the quest could tear Ash and Natalie apart, even pushing them into the arms of others.

This enthralling sequel to Black City is just as absorbing, delicious and steamy as the first book, leaving readers hungry for the series conclusion.

Review:

  Elizabeth Richards is officially the sensei and master of action novels. Phoenix was just heart-pounding and nail-biting. It was a roller coaster the whole way through and showed no signs of slowing down.

   This takes place a few months after the previous book's incident. Everything is turning from bad to worse, and Ash and Natalie are in the middle of it. Natalie is threatened and the only thing Ash can do to save her is vote in favour of Rose's Law. But he can't really put Natalie first before twenty thousand Darklings. A new character named Elijah who was known by Natalie in the past is back and Ash fears that they have feelings for each other. Now they all want to take Purian Rose down for good and destroy him and his wishes. There's rebellion, escapes and new characters all jumbled together in this great book.

     I adored this first book, as you all may know. I couldn't wait to begin this beautiful sequel, and I feared for second-book-syndrome, but nothing even close existed. This was a great enjoyable read that has been giving me thrills and chills from the moment I first opened the book.

      The plot was pretty great from beginning to end. There was a lot of action, but I missed some things and I felt deducted from all of the craze, especially after the fiftieth percent mark. It went okay from there, nothing special, until the racing, shocking end.

        The characters were awesome as always.  I loved Ash...


          And especially for his kick-assness and his love for Natalie. I had some problems with Natalie, though. She made me upset for not trusting Ash and not telling him anything. Like girl, you're freakin' DATING.

           I don't even want to speak about Elijah because he's just like a new villain, and I don't like villains. Plus, he's a newbie who thinks that everyone cares about him and is too selfish to care about anyone except him and his heart.

            Overall, this book was great. If you loved the first book, then chances are that you'll love this one as well. They're both hell of a steep roller coaster. READ IT. ASAP.

4 comments :

  1. I've yet to read Black City, Michelle! Gosh, why are there so many books and so little time? Anyway, I am so glad Phoenix was as good as its predecessor. I am definitely going to push up Black City on my TBR!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Sarah: You definitely should! Ugh, there's TOO many books, haha! Whenever I go to the bookstore, I always come back with 20 books in my hands and know that it'll take a while to get to them. xD

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had my eye on this book when it first came out but a lot of the reviews made it seem like it wouldn't be something I would enjoy so I am probably not going to start this series but I am glad to hear you weren't let down by the sequel! The second book syndrome.. is more common than not these days and it's a relief when a sequel you're anticipating doesn't let you down!

    Natalie does sound annoying... especially when she cannot even trust the guy she's dating but then again, that isn't very surprising as it happens quite often in YA.

    Lovely review, Michelle!!! :)

    Rashika @ The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah. :/ I find that almost every sequel I read is a downer, but I'm pretty glad to admit that this was a stunner, oppositely! Eh, Natalie is pretty much your average YA heroine, with nothing too special about her and her personality. She uses a guy for her lust, and then just moves on, and then decides that she loved the first guy the whole time. *sighs*

    Thank you, Rashika!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, I always read them, they always make my day and help me improve my posts. Thank you!