Review: Let the Sky Fall, by Shannon Messenger

Wednesday 23 July 2014


Let the Sky Fall (Sky Fall #1), by Shannon Messenger

Genre: Young Adult Fiction, Romance, Fantasy, Paranormal

Rating: 1.5/5 stars

Publication: December 3, 2013, by Simon Pulse

Format: Paperback Edition




Goodreads Summary: A broken past and a divided future can’t stop the electric connection of two teens in this “fast-paced, fantasy-romance” (VOYA) novel.

Seventeen-year-old Vane Weston has no idea how he survived the category five tornado that killed his parents. And he has no idea if the beautiful, dark-haired girl who’s swept through his dreams every night since the storm is real. But he hopes she is.

Seventeen-year-old Audra is a sylph, an air elemental. She walks on the wind, can translate its alluring songs, and can even coax it into a weapon with a simple string of commands. She’s also a guardian—Vane’s guardian—and has sworn an oath to protect Vane at all costs. Even if it means sacrificing her own life.

When a hasty mistake reveals their location to the enemy who murdered both of their families, Audra’s forced to help Vane remember who he is. He has a power to claim—the secret language of the West Wind, which only he can understand. But unlocking his heritage will also unlock the memory Audra needs him to forget. And as the storm bears down on them, she starts to realize the greatest danger might not be the warriors coming to destroy them—but the forbidden romance that’s grown between them.


Review:

DNF @ 90 pages.

"The tension between us evaporates. Whoever invented air conditioning should win the Nobel Prize. I bet they could bring peace to the Middle East if they gave everyone an AC unit and let them cool the freak down once in a while. I should e-mail the UN the suggestion."

  Have you ever read a book that you were anticipating so much (so freakin' much) to read but when you did, it totally sucked? *sighs* The amazeballs of fate...

    I didn't like this book. It definitely wasn't the worst book I've ever read, but it sucked pretty bad anyways. I adore fantasy, but this kind of concept mixed in with these characters didn't flow together too well. It was like when you think you're baking the perfect cake, but then it turns out burnt and not mixed well enough. You have that anticipation making you hungry to read it, but then you end up completely wrong anyways.

       

        But this book was pretty upsetting that it almost made it to an one star rating. And that's where the big guns come in. DNFs usually end up being a 1 star for most people, but I find that if there's a light somewhere during the parts that I did enjoy, it can boost up the rating utmost to a 2.5 star rating (if it suddenly got disastrous in the end).

         First negative: concept. A tornado? Yum. That's my type of read. I love those post-apocalyptic reads and when reading the summary, this did sound like one of those. Turns out, I stand corrected. I was wrong. This has to do with some form of angels called sylphs? Yeah, not my type of thing. I think I didn't like it because I've read too many books with angel-like creatures. Too many authors are deciding to deal with this subject too frequently. *walks to bookstore and finds ten angel books in ONE ROW*

        Second: stereotypes. I'm Canadian, and when reading this book, I wanted to literally barf. This author thinks so weirdly of Canadians. You think we say "eh" at the end of every sentence and say the word about like "a-boot?" Come on. *rolls eyes* It's kind of frustrating to read many stereotypes that deal with your culture, haha.

        I began this book with large expectations, like I mentioned above. When I got to page 30, I was loving it. From there on, I was bored out of my mind and didn't care about anything. The concept was really what kicked me out from wanting to read on from this book. But the storyline was very predictable and upsetting as well. I knew what was coming and in the end (90 pages) it was going at the rate that I wanted to close my eyes rather than reading it. That's the moment when I know that it's time to let it go. *NOT FROZEN'S LET IT GO* I normally never do that before 100 pages.

         I loved Vane. Shannon Messenger had the perfect idea of an awkward but cool teenage boy's POV. I really liked him and his quirkiness but my love for him didn't get me to keep on reading the book, sadly. But if you ask me about Audra, that's a different story. I hated her. I didn't relate to her at all and didn't feel nothing. She was just an overwhelmed brat who was afraid all the time. Badass? Nope. More like wimpy.

          "Our eyes met as he fell, and I chose to save him."

          

           So you can show your precious master that you're no troublemaker? Haha, you're funny.

           The romance was just under-developed, and I can barely get myself to even call this a book part of the "romance genre." Maybe there was a "passionate" kiss by the end, but it was just gross to see these two fall in love. NO.

            This book didn't interest me at all, and I had more of a hate relationship with it than a love one. More cat-fights than puppy-love. 

No comments :

Post a Comment

I love comments, I always read them, they always make my day and help me improve my posts. Thank you!