Review: Meant to Be, by Lauren Morrill

Thursday 24 July 2014




Meant to Be, by Lauren Morrill

Genre: Young Adult Fiction, Contemporary, Romance

Rating: 3/5 stars

Publication: January 7, 2014, by Ember

Format: Paperback Edition (borrowed)




Goodreads Summary: Funny? Romantic? Smart? Set in England? Cute guys? Yes x5! In Lauren Morrill's sweet and witty debut, it's one thing to fall head over heels into a puddle of hazelnut coffee, and quite another to fall for the—gasp—wrong guy. Straight-A junior Julia may be accident prone, but she's queen of following rules and being prepared. That's why she keeps a pencil sharpener in her purse and a pocket Shakespeare in her, well, pocket. And that's also why she's chosen Mark Bixford, her childhood crush, as her MTB ("meant to be").

But this spring break, Julia's rules are about to get defenestrated (SAT word: to be thrown from a window) when she's partnered with her personal nemesis, class-clown Jason, on a school trip to London. After one wild party, Julia starts receiving romantic texts . . . from an unknown number! Jason promises to help discover the identity of her mysterious new suitor if she agrees to break a few rules along the way. And thus begins a wild goose chase through London, leading Julia closer and closer to the biggest surprise of all: true love.

Because sometimes the things you least expect are the most meant to be.

Review:

"I don't use airplane bathrooms. As a rule. And I really don't like breaking rules. (It's kind of one of my rules.) I mean, if I'm going to plummet to my death, it's not going to be with my pants around my ankles."

  I recently have received Being Sloane Jacobs, also by Lauren Morrill, and to get ready, I decided to read her debut novel first. Turns out, it's pretty recommendable, but only to those who adore contemporaries. Contemporaries of any sort and any drama included. 

  This was just an average, simple, cliche contemporary-romance novel. It wasn't un-expecting, it didn't give me any feels except for the rare squeals because of the romance. I didn't hate this book, and I didn't love it, either. It was simply in between, and an overall nothing-special read. I wouldn't call it mandatory for everyone to read. You'll get by.

   So basically this is about a trip to London which is pretty unrealistic. Free airfare? A free stay at the hotel? Your MTB (meant-to-be) at the same location? That's kind of stupid. And I really don't take stupidity as a good thing. Julia is basically forced to go on a school trip to London, England. She follows the rules and is always prepared for anything... except a hangover and meeting cute guys. Before things get worse, (not really, though) she is partnered up with her nemesis, Jason, and starts getting texts from a "mysterious messenger." Oh! And she falls in love.


     Can this book have been any more cheesy and predictable? I really don't think so. And that's basically what deducted two stars from the overall rating. Lauren Morrill just created your average predictable book with no plot twists whatsoever. TA DA: JULIA AND JASON END UP TOGETHER AND JASON IS "CHRIS." 

        

      *barfs* Plus, the cheesiness interfered too much with the plot and kind of made it suck too much. This was just like any other of those contemporary books that take place in England with those cute guys. ._. It's just not really for me.

      But of course, this book had its good moments. In the beginning of the book until page 100, it showed its potential. But then I saw its dark side and realized what it's really going to become. 

       The bright side-- I loved the characters. Julia was just awesome. I related to her so dearly much! Bookworm, prepared, independent, you name it. Lauren Morrill is officially the master of creating relatable characters in contemporary books. Jason was also such a sweetheart, and together, I loved them as a couple despite the cheesiness between them.

        This book is okay. There's nothing too special about it but it's a good, quick read if you're looking for a summer read. Recommended.

2 comments :

  1. Ouch, I can definitely see that this book is not for me. I'm not much of a Contemporary fan and I hate cheesiness and predictability. Ugh. Glad the characters made up for it though. Thank you for your honest review, Michelle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, yeah. If you're up to pick up a contemporary, it really has to be a good one like something by John Green, or Stephanie Perkins. *nudges* You're welcome! :D

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, I always read them, they always make my day and help me improve my posts. Thank you!