A Is For... Asylum

Tuesday 1 April 2014


  Hello everyone... I mean my fellow lunatics! Ahah, just kidding. Welcome to my first 2014 A-Z Challenge post! Today, this post is featuring an unstoppable powerful book which is really about what the title describes.. asylums.

   This is Madeleine Reux’s debut novel, and she definitely wrote it horrifyingly and amazingly, both at the same time. Take a note to self- don’t read this at midnight, because you will NOT be able to sleep the rest of the night. This book is absolutely creepy and sent shivers down my spine, and yes, I was brave enough to begin, and finish this all in a few hours- but that was because once you begin this, you won’t be able to put it down.

    I really didn’t know what to expect when starting this book. It could end up really cliche and horrible, or it could go in the whole other direction and end up being amazing, and that’s what it did. I may say that the beginning was tempting me to read more, even though it wasn’t that powerful. Thank goodness I kept on reading or else I wouldn’t been able to experience reading a spectacular novel like this. The beginning was everything you could imagine- a boy curious about a weird place. 

    The plot began to express itself after 100 pages or so, and I was glad that I didn't give up on it. The romance quickly submerged into something gorgeous, and I was biting my nails the whole time, not knowing what would happen next. There were so many moments where I thought I knew what would occur next, but I would end up totally wrong.

    Dan, the main character, is absolutely likeable, and you will feel like he’s telling his story to you, and only you.

    This concept inspired me so much that I decided to write a speech for school on asylums. A little more research into the topic, and I felt like I knew the topic inside and out. Ask me questions below, and I will gladly answer them! :)

     This book reminded me so much of Miss Peregrine’s Home For Peculiar Children. The photographs here were so creepy, but also gave me a better understanding of what was going on and what the evidence looked like. Pick this up as soon as you can, because I’m 100% sure that you’ll be pleased, young or old. 

Favourite quote: “It was a house for those who could not take care of themselves, for those who heard voices, who had strange thoughts and did strange things. The house was meant to keep them in. Once they came, they never left.”

Question of the Day: Would you, personally, go and visit an old lunatic asylum? I definitely WOULDN’T.
   

16 comments :

  1. Never heard of that book, but it is definitely on my reading list now!! As someone who lived in an extremely haunted former-asylum dormitory, I feel I can relate....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WHOA. That's crazy! High five to someone as brave as you, I'd be the first one out of there. LOL.

      Delete
  2. This looks like an interesting book. I am reading Miss Peregrine’s Home For Peculiar Children right now and loving it, so I'm sure I'll like this one too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Both of the books all have a deep message somewhere in them. Aside from the haunting, thrilling plots, the messages and photos meant something to me. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. You should read One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey it is set in a psychiatric hospital in Oregon. It might make you want to visit an Asylum ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just looked it up and it sounds really intriguing! There's also a movie, so I have to see that as well. :)

      Delete
  4. And what a haunting cover too. One for the TBR pile, which now has its own corner bookcase.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is one creepy-ass cover! But I love it. I've added this book to my TBR :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I'm one of those people who judge books by their covers (even though I reminded myself hundreds of times not to,) and this is definitely one of those that I just knew that I would obsess over once reading it. There's not many books like this out there which is great because there's too many that focus on the same subjects, Asylum is just absolutely unique and its own story.

      Delete
  6. I don't think I could read this one. Too creepy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahaha, aww. A lot of bookworms that I know aren't able to pick this one up, but I try to keep mentioning that it's not too bad. I mean, there are some strange photos, but the story is beautiful!

      That's exactly what I thought when I first saw this book xD

      Delete
  7. Interesting book and blog. I don't read much that qualifies as horror but I'm open to the possibility. I like your theme. Will have to check back on certain letters cause I know I found a couple of them hard to do and I was more open. I'm reviewing books that either the title, author last name, author first name (I messed up with one I started reading and then gave away the letter is needed to go in) or even the series name start with the letter of the day. Even then Q proved a challenge.

    Now to look at the other books already posted.

    A to Z commenter
    Reading at Dawn blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I'll definitely take a look at your older and soon to come blog posts!

      Yes, I'm not much of a fan of horror either, but this was too interesting to put away.

      Delete
  8. I've seen this book around and it looks really interesting. I really need to pick it up when I get a chance.
    Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, I always read them, they always make my day and help me improve my posts. Thank you!