W is for... Wake

Saturday 26 April 2014



    After reading this book I was literally dying because it was so good. A masterpiece I tell you!

    If you've read any books by Amanda Hocking before, hopefully you've loved and enjoyed them as much as I did. Honestly, this was Amanda's best series yet that I'll never forget about in the following years to come. 

    Gemma has everything- an almost perfect life, attractiveness, a romance with the boy next door, and a strong relationship with her sister, Harper. When strangers Penn, Thea, and Lexi are in town for the summer, nobody can think of a reason why they came to the middle of nowhere where Gemma and her family live. Before she knows it- she's a siren/cannibal creature that swims rapidly fast and is on the hunt for her human prey. Gemma has to make a choice- and it better be quick. She has to choose between staying with her loved ones, which is totally unsafe for them, or saying goodbye to the only world she's ever known and loved, and straight into another dark and mysterious world of wonders.

      

    This was the book that I was dreaming about to read forever. No mermaid/siren books that I've read ever ended up good, they always are hideous and totally unbearable to read. When this came out, the gorgeous cover just struck me, and finding out that it was a work of Amanda Hocking was even better to hear about, I just knew that I had to pick it up as soon as possible. 

    After reading just one chapter of this book, I was done with the world we live in today. Well, just joking, I was only gone for a few hours anyway. This book just hit me so hard with its racing plot twists and wild plot, with many surprises in between. I was NEVER bored, not even once, and every paragraph was like a word of wisdom to me. This is absolute brilliance.

     The characters.... WELL OH MY GOSH. 

    Gemma, the protagonist, was kick-ass and strong, although some people classified her as "weak." But seriously, how would YOU react having to deal with her situation, choosing between an unknown world for the best and for keeping your family safe, OR living unsafely with your loved ones forever, holding a deep dark secret in your heart, not knowing the consequences. JUST STOP PEOPLE. Gemma went through so much and she made it and she was a fantastic character!
    I love how there are TWO beautiful romances going on at the same time in this book, one with Gemma and the other one with Harper, Gemma's sister. I love the bond that the two sisters share, and you barely find that in books, this is something special.

    Overall, I was absolutely pleased, 10000000 times pleased. You will adore this novel, and you will want to read the whole four-book series over and over and over again because Amanda Hocking just can't let you leave this series alone, and of course, dusty in your bookshelf or bookstore. Just go, run, buy this in ebook format, I don't know, just please, go and buy this. 


    BYEEEE. I'm watching you leave right now. ;)


12 comments :

  1. Interesting. I remember seeing some of her books for other series in the bookstore but being kind of hesitant about them (well plus one involves vampires and I don't read those). I've only read 1 mermaid book so far but the concept of the siren/creature does sound interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, vampires! But coming from Amanda's work, I wouldn't be so shock to find out that it's good, haha. Yes! It's definitely a unique concept.

      Delete
  2. This is an amazing site! It’s great to see Hocking’s still on a roll since the million dollar fuss – never read anything by her but I like a good success story. I read mostly crime fiction but for YA I do adore anything that comes from Laini Taylor’s bright and inspired mind!
    Miss A

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I haven't read anything by Laini Taylor yet, but The Daughter of Smoke and Bone is high up on my must-read-TBR list. :)

      Delete
  3. What a fun site you have! I kept reading reviews just to see all the cool animations. Like you, I have always loved to read. At fourteen, reading was the most important thing in my world. I skipped a New Year's Eve party that year because I was in the middle of "Forever Amber", a big historical romance. I grew up to become a librarian, so I could get paid for being surrounded by all the new books every day. Keep reading - you'll never be sorry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, honestly. Aha, I'd do the same if I am reading an amazing book at the time. Reading is definitely, like you said, a huge part of my life. We live for books, right? xD I definitely will!

      Delete
  4. This looks like a good read! I'll check out your other A-Z recommendations. Just glancing over at the list, I've read If I Stay, Fangirl, Eleanor and Park, and The Book Thief, and enjoyed them all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard good things about Amanda Hocking but never picked up one of her books. You've convinced me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea for the A to Z challenge! I'm curious about what you will have for Monday's post ;) Okay, now I'm off to see your other book reviews!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, I always read them, they always make my day and help me improve my posts. Thank you!