Throwaway Girl, by Kristine Scarrow

Tuesday 8 April 2014





Throwaway Girl, by Kristine Scarrow

Genre: Young Adult Fiction, Contemporary, Abuse, Ebook

Rating: 4.5/5 stars










Goodreads Summary: A victim of a tumultuous childhood of abuse, hunger, and homelessness, Andy Burton has learned a thing or two about survival. But at 13, Andy was picked up by the police and is taken to Haywood House, a group home for girls who have nowhere else to go. Now, as her 18th birthday approaches, she must find a new home, knowing that life may not be so easy on her own. When Andy discovers that her struggles are far from over, will she be able to carve out a better life for herself and find the happiness she is searching for?


Review:



   *I received this review copy from Netgalley in exchange for a honest review.*







 For some particular reason, I knew that I would adore this book. And I did, SO MUCH. 

"Don't you know what you're taking away here? Our dreams are wrapped up in you, in escape, in a better life. How dare you take that away from girls like us! Girls who have lost everything and have nothing left."

  I've seriously never read a book like this before. The author has created a real world, where the story was so deep and gorgeous. Foster homes and adoption in a teenage novel is something very difficult to read about, but this author definitely wrote it just about perfectly.

  From the start, I was totally hooked in, and before I knew it, I was done with the book. At so many points, I felt that the book itself was possessing me- it was too good that it never would let me out of its world.



  Like I mentioned before, this story was so real. I imagined everything happening, and Andy, the protagonist, told us her story. She was the author, and we were her listeners, and are the readers. It dealt with so many real issues- rape, abuse, adoption, foster care, loss, all in one steaming powerful book that many readers will come to love in the years and years to come.

  I absolutely loved Andy, the main character. I FELT SO BAD FOR HER AT SO MANY POINTS IN THE STORY. I just wanted to hug her and give her my full sympathy all throughout the novel, and that's what a protagonist should do to the reader. Creating a relationship and relating to the readers is the key to a reader's heart, and that doesn't happen in many situations.

  I've read a few reviews, and some said that this book was confusing, but it wasn't. Every other chapter is Andy's past life when she was younger, and how she came to be when she showed up at the Home in Saskatoon. It's not that difficult to understand, as long as you pay attention to the dates on the top of the chapter.

  I absolutely loved this book so much. It was light, but tragic at the same time, and is the best new YA tragic contemporary since Laurie Halse Anderson's Speak.

2 comments :

  1. I love your blog. I am so glad you checked out my blog because it gave me the opportunity to check out yours. I too am a bookworm. I will definitely be keeping up with you!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, I always read them, they always make my day and help me improve my posts. Thank you!