The Treatment, by Suzanne Young

Monday 21 April 2014





The Treatment (The Program #2), by Suzanne Young

Genre: Young Adult Fiction, Dystopia, Suicide/Death

Rating: 3.5/5 stars










Goodreads Summary: Can Sloane and James survive the lies and secrets surrounding them, or will The Program claim them in the end? Find out in this sequel to The Program, which Publishers Weekly called “chilling and suspenseful.”

How do you stop an epidemic?

Sloane and James are on the run after barely surviving the suicide epidemic and The Program. But they’re not out of danger. Huge pieces of their memories are still missing, and although Sloane and James have found their way back to each other, The Program isn’t ready to let them go.

Escaping with a group of troubled rebels, Sloane and James will have to figure out who they can trust, and how to take down The Program. But for as far as they’ve come, there’s still a lot Sloane and James can’t remember. The key to unlocking their past lies with the Treatment—a pill that can bring back forgotten memories, but at a high cost. And there’s only one dose.

Ultimately when the stakes are at their highest, can Sloane and James survive the many lies and secrets surrounding them, or will The Program claim them in the end?

Review:

  I cannot calm down, because I didn't KNOW THAT THIS WAS THE LAST BOOK UNTIL I READ THE ENDING AND FIGURED, "IT'S DONE."

  

   But in a way, I'm very proud that this was the ending of The Program series. For once, we don't have a trilogy, and both books still were awesome put together. I'd rate this series a 4/5 altogether, but credits to Suzanne Young for the amazing idea, plot and characters. She's created two books that really mean a lot to me.

    The Summary: Sloane's and James' memories are still missing after escaping The Program and going through the horrific suicide epidemic that has been occurring for the past four years. They finally escaped, and are ready to bring The Program itself to justice and show the world what really goes inside of there. Adding to that, Sloane isn't sure if her and James' romance is working, but she realizes that she loves him too much to let him go. A pill (The Treatment) still lies, and everyone is wondering if it really can bring back the memories of their past.

    What upsets me is that I feel like every single dystopian/science-fiction series has one of those books that has the characters rebelling and screwing around with the world that they live in. This was one of them, and I seriously feel that even though this was a good book, I am going through the case of "Second Book Syndrome." I'm heart-broken because I really hoped for this book to be as good as the first or even better, but I got the same thing as other books, and I want something new and beautiful.

     So I'm lying here, thinking, what was the problem with this book? The character development, dull scenes and idea. Suzanne Young just added in a new character in the second page of the book, hoping that it would cause some sort of enjoyment for us readers. Dallas was a slut and an idiot, that's all I have to say. Why did she have to show up, to replace Lacey and be the bad-ass of the group? Uh, no thanks. I also felt like the romance was going nowhere, and everyone was just fooling around, and no chemistry was happening. There was romance, don't get me wrong, but I just didn't feel it.

  

      James ended up being really wimpy when Dallas supposedly described him as "tough." I couldn't stand him and ended up loving Michael by the end. Sloane ended up being a pretty good protagonist, just like in the first book, although she didn't know what she wanted at times. 

      This book was full of dull scenes, over and over again. Some parts just could've been taken out, and the book would flow just fine. Know what I mean? 

      So you're probably sitting there, looking at your computer/phone thinking, (a) What the heck is this freak talking about, (b) Get to the point, lady, or (c) I totally get you. Whichever it is, I just want you to know that this had a fantastic ending, even though we kind of expected it. It had a lot of action through the end and it definitely was going somewhere, and then I found out that it was all done. That just broke my heart because I was seeing a series that I absolutely enjoyed and really liked, ending. I know that I'm repeating this over and over again, but I don't want anyone like myself to be surprised with the big boom in the end.

      Do I recommend this? Sure, absolutely, especially if you adored the first book as much as I did.

3 comments :

  1. Great review. I love hearing your voice. It's very appropriate. I'm going to follow your blog and share it w/ students. via A to Z Challenge www.evolvingenglishteacher.blogspot.com I'm tweeting this, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish that you could be my English teacher because mine doesn't even care about literature and a good piece of work at all. All that she is looking for is something short so she doesn't have to read a lot and is easy to grade.

      Delete

I love comments, I always read them, they always make my day and help me improve my posts. Thank you!