O is for... Ophelia

Thursday 17 April 2014

  I normally dislike historical fiction books. They are boring and not the type of genre I usually pick up to read. But, Ophelia was probably one of the only historical fiction books I really enjoyed.


   This book is basically a retelling of Shakespeare's Hamlet. Hamlet was the male main character of the story, whom Ophelia had some connections to. ;) 

   Ophelia is a young teenager who has grown in a wealthy castle, where she is going to the queen's lady-in-waiting. Once she sets her eyes on Prince Hamlet, a prince with a dark and mysterious past, her life is about to go upside down and she truly doesn't know what she's in for. 

   The romance is so beautiful, unlike many other books. There's a lot of drama and moments where I was about to cry. Lisa Klein, the author, did an amazing job creating such great characters that are so relatable to the reader.

   “What is a man's life but a prelude to his death? And what is death but a long sleep, a most welcome forgetfulness.”

   I definitely recommend this to all historical fiction lovers, as well as any other YA book lover, you'll definitely be impressed with Lisa's amazing book based on the works of Shakespeare. 

    


13 comments :

  1. Interesting. I always liked Hamlet though didn't quite agree with my English teacher about Ophelia's role in the story. She had a different role in Eyes Like Stars, Ophelia does. I'd like to write a Hamlet based story some day, maybe I'll get around to it. So much to write.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never read Hamlet but I would really like to. Ophelia was such a huge role in this book and I'm so happy to see the spotlight shine on her because of her unequal role in the original.

      Delete
    2. I read it on my own. I ended up not able to take the English class that read Hamlet because of band class. I'm glad though because I didn't have to worry about the teacher's opinion of the play. I got it along with two other tragedies (Macbeth and King Lear) and it was my favorite.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for introducing a new book to me. I never heard of it. Never read even hamlet. I like these dialogues - “What is a man's life but a prelude to his death? And what is death but a long sleep, a most welcome forgetfulness.”
    Good theme for A to Z
    http://afshan-shaik.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've also never read Hamlet, but I would really like to. :)

      Delete
  3. My daughter and I were just talking about this book. She just read Hamlet in class and was unhappy with the way the discussion treated Ophelia. This book is on our TBR list for her spring break.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never heard of this book, but it sounds great--thanks for sharing. New follower here and I'm looking forward to more of your posts! Wishing you the best for the rest of the alphabet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like historical fiction, for the history aspect, but I know some works can be boring. Thank you; will certainly look into it.
    Silvia @
    SilviaWrites

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! There's so many good pieces of works that took place in the best points of time!

      Delete
  6. I dislike historical books too, so I'll check this out. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, I always read them, they always make my day and help me improve my posts. Thank you!