Adaptation, by Malinda Lo

Friday 11 April 2014





Adaptation (Adaptation #1), by Malinda Lo

Genre: Young Adult Fiction, Aliens, Science-Fiction

Rating: 4.5/5 stars










Goodreads Summary: Reese can’t remember anything from the time between the accident and the day she woke up almost a month later. She only knows one thing: She’s different now.

Across North America, flocks of birds hurl themselves into airplanes, causing at least a dozen to crash. Thousands of people die. Fearing terrorism, the United States government grounds all flights, and millions of travellers are stranded.

Reese and her debate team partner and longtime crush David are in Arizona when it happens. Everyone knows the world will never be the same. On their drive home to San Francisco, along a stretch of empty highway at night in the middle of Nevada, a bird flies into their headlights. The car flips over. When they wake up in a military hospital, the doctor won’t tell them what happened, where they are—or how they’ve been miraculously healed.

Things become even stranger when Reese returns home. San Francisco feels like a different place with police enforcing curfew, hazmat teams collecting dead birds, and a strange presence that seems to be following her. When Reese unexpectedly collides with the beautiful Amber Gray, her search for the truth is forced in an entirely new direction—and threatens to expose a vast global conspiracy that the government has worked for decades to keep secret.

Review:


  I was so disappointed with Malinda Lo's previous novels, Huntress and Ash. They were horrible, but when I received a ebook (ARC? but it's been out for already 2 years) from Netgalley, I was like "Sure, why not read this?" Plus, the rebellious and captivating summary immediately snuck me in. 

  I am proud to announce that Adaptation was absolutely awesome and thrilling. It's the best science-fiction book I've read in a while, with you know, the occasional little tweak here and there.

  

   The first 10% of the book was when the main thing happened. It happened so fast, and I never expected it to "end" like that, I mean, the beginning to the present tense stage of the book. Renee really showed her true kick-ass side in the little point of time, I was truly impressed already.

   I never expected there to be a lesbian romance, but this has occurred in Malinda Lo's previous novels, and it's not a bad thing, it's a great change.

   Who would expect this concept to do with aliens? The whole book itself was so theoretical and so deeply staged through science fiction and conspiracy theories. It just made me want to go and search up some interesting theories about Area 51 and such.

   I'm not a big fan of aliens. I've never strongly believed in them, but I realized that books written about the subject usually end up great. This was just another of those amazing alien books. I would never want to watch a film about aliens, but when you mention books, I'm into the world of theories and UFOs.

   This really reminded me of James Patterson's hit movie, Avatar. It once was my favourite movie, and so many points of this book just reminded me of that one, except, the world is all the same and it's in present tense, 2014, which is really hard to believe because I do not want June 19, 2014 to come any closer, it's kind of creepy reading a book that takes place in the year you're currently living in... or it's just paranoid me. :l

   
   

    The characters were absolutely fantastic. Reese was so kick-ass and confident and I just wanted to high-five her during so many points in this book. Amber and her made the perfect couple. <3 They were both willing to fight for what they believed in, and for once in a blue moon, they weren't total opposites, in personalities I mean. David was just the poor guy. I felt so bad for him, I would've also loved for him and Reese to be together, but you know... feelings. Julian was just an adorable side character who I just wanted to hug because he was so LOVEABLE, if you know what I mean. :))

    The only tiny flaw in this book was the middle towards the end. Something bigger should've happened then, because I felt like I was getting bored with the book, but of course, I would NEVER leave Adaptation. It was just too good to be left behind.

    Malinda Lo has FINALLY fascinated me with this fantastic novel. Be aware that a review of the sequel will be coming soon because I just can't wait. 

2 comments :

  1. Interesting review. I have it on my review list though we vary some in opinions. I liked Ash (haven't read the other). But I may like this one too.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, I always read them, they always make my day and help me improve my posts. Thank you!