Truth, by Julia Karr

Monday 28 April 2014





Truth (XVI #2), by Julia Karr

Genre: Young Adult Fiction, Dystopian, Romance

Rating: 3/5 stars










Goodreads Summary: An exciting dystopian thriller, and sequel to XVI

Nina Oberon's life has changed enormously in the last few months. When her mother was killed, Nina discovered the truth about her father, the leader of the Resistance. And now she sports the same Governing Council–ordered tattoo of XVI on her wrist that all sixteen-year-old girls have. The one that announces to the world that she is easy prey to predators. But Nina won't be anyone's stereotype. And when she joins an organization of girls working within the Resistance, she knows that they can put an end to one of the most terrifying secret programs the GC has ever conceived. Because the truth always comes out . . . and the consequences can be deadly.


Review:



   A LOVE TRIANGLE?! ANOTHER STINKIN' LOVE TRIANGLE?! Ugh, COME ON. 

   Yep, so those are my first thoughts that come to mind after finishing this book. We all've read love triangles, over and over again. Been there, done that, right? I'd never expect this unique book to have this sort of aspect in it. But, it did, and that's my main problem with this sequel. Julia Karr disappointed me with this.

    So after finishing the first book, you could say that I was pleased with the outcome. The idea was okay (but confusing) and the plot was well-written. It didn't have the ending that totally left me wanting more and that was suspenseful, but I did want to see what this series would continue to. 

    Please don't get me wrong, I did enjoy this book, but it was rather upsetting compared to the first book. Now, let's get into the inside details, and further into my thoughts.

    So this takes place right after where XVI ended. Nina has learned the truth about her father and inside details about what has been going through the minds of the government and the peers around her. But at the same time, Nina wants to serve justice and righteousness and stop what has happened to continue. Adding to that, scandals going through her family is occurring, and once she joins an organization committed to the Resistance, more secrets will evolve.

    The Plot: This book wasn't really a heart-racing thriller, and I have to admit that it's not supposed to be. I mean, what's supposed to happen? At least this wasn't like those cheesy dystopians where the characters begin to rebel in the sequel. This had some action, but it wasn't too large, and it wasn't boring at the same time either. The plot and events that occurred were just simple-minded and expected, which didn't disturb me too much in this case.

    Romance: This was a yes and a no. Love triangles? NONONONO GET AWAY FROM ME. RIGHT NOW. Why? Why was a new male character added into the book? So he could take care of Dee when Nina was in the hospital waiting for her grandmother's results? But honestly, I now love Chris even more than I've ever liked Sal. He's so charming and cute, and just the perfect guy for bratty Nina, who didn't change a bit from first book to second. She's the same brat who thinks she's too good for everyone else. 

     Everything In Between: 



     I dishonour this book because of the dumb characters and love triangle. But it was okay, overall. A three star rated book is known as "okay/meh" in my standards. Read it, or not, but if you do, you'll need the last book because questions will be haunting your mind. 

     *When is the last book coming? There's no expected release date, title, or cover. -_-*

4 comments :

  1. I am putting this book in my TBR pile as I like Dystopian stories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, yeah most of the time if something has a love triangle I hedge on whether I will read it or not. Some circumstantial ones can be okay but others, just get on my nerve instead. Especially the dark mysterious guy winning over the friend who risks their life for the MC. grr

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I usually have standards for a book that does contain love triangles. Ugh, I hate those books! xD

      Delete

I love comments, I always read them, they always make my day and help me improve my posts. Thank you!