N is for... Nightshade

Wednesday 16 April 2014


  Back in the day, I never usually liked or read about werewolves. Twilight was one of those books that over-exaggerated with the concept and totally made it cheesy (at least the movie did) and I felt like I was scarred for life after watching the 4 films that made teenagers squeal and fangirl back in the day.

   Nightshade by Andrea Cremer definitely was something else. This book brought werewolves to a whole new level in a gorgeous thrilling novel that will make many more people squeal in the years to come. Nightshade was the best werewolf book I've ever read, standing right next to Maggie Stiefvater's Shiver trilogy.

    Calla Tor is the alpha female of her wolf pack and she is destined to marry Ren, a heartthrob alpha male who thinks that he is too good for her, but still loves her anyway. Calla believes that her whole life is already planned out and she is ready to finally begin to live it... until she saves Shay, a human boy, and her whole world is turned upside down, trying to find out who she really is and what she wants.

   Now, this may sound cheesy or will make you sick and tired of "love-triangles," but I seriously adored this, and hopefully you will too, if you decide to pick it up.

   I was really upset that I didn't decide to read this sooner. Not too many people are raving about it, and I'm glad to have read another book that isn't too popular, but still is awesome. 

   From the moment I picked this up, I was absolutely addicted to every moment of this book, and it wasn't until a few hours later when I finished it that I realized what a fantastic book this was. Andrea Cremer now today is one of my favourite authors, only after reading the first book in the Nightshade trilogy.

   

    When Andrea Cremer writes a book, she creates so many plot twists and turns that I never know what to expect, and really, can you think of a way to do that to a werewolf book? I don't think so. :)

    The characters were absolutely stellar. Calla was the perfect lead, who wasn't afraid and whiny like most protagonists, and she had a pure sense of direction but still needed to know what she was supposed to do. Shay was my boy. I am, and hopefully always be on "Team Shay," no matter what anyone says or thinks. Shay is the guy who you'll fall in love with, and who I believe is the perfect match for Calla, no matter what kind of "person" they are. I loved how there was a gender bender, and Calla got the job of saving Shay, which is the total opposite of most supernatural-paranormal love triangle romances. 

    Ren was a whole other story. He was such a piece of... you know. UGH I HATED HIM SO MUCH, but I think that the author obviously wanted him to be the bad-boy, so I guess that's his way of doing things, and his personality. Calla, my girl, doesn't deserve an butt-hole like him. =_=

   I haven't read the other two books in this trilogy and the other books by Andrea Cremer, but I do have Wolfsbane and Bloodrose, (they are so gorgeous) and I absolutely can't wait to begin them. As soon as you do, you'll definitely catch a review of them both over here. :)

   "The relationship of a girl and her favourite novel can be complex indeed."

  


5 comments :

  1. Nice. I haven't read many werewolf things (I didn't read any of twilight and after getting bored in the first movie knew when to stop) except for book 1, Shiver. I haven't seen many movies either, except one involving wendigos and those are similar to werewolves. Though I do like characters who have connections to wolves: wild magic fantasy stories or just amazing literature like Julie of the Wolves.

    I have this book on my to-read list already. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I realized that I have gotten you to add so many books onto your to-read list, I'm so glad! :)

      Delete
    2. Always glad to hear about books that might interest me. Though I've had Nightshade on my to-read shelf since 2010. I should probably work on reading cause I take years to get around to many of the books I want to read.

      Delete
  2. I read this book, and maybe the second although I can't even remember. I enjoyed the books but I haven't been itching to pick up the last one. One of these days...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you got the case of "Second Book Syndrome," ahah I get that all the time!

      Delete

I love comments, I always read them, they always make my day and help me improve my posts. Thank you!