A Mad Wicked Folly, by Sharon Biggs Waller

Saturday 19 April 2014





A Mad Wicked Folly, by Sharon Biggs Waller

Genre: Young Adult Fiction, Historical, Romance

Rating: 5/5 stars










Goodreads Summary: Welcome to the world of the fabulously wealthy in London, 1909, where dresses and houses are overwhelmingly opulent, social class means everything, and women are taught to be nothing more than wives and mothers. Into this world comes seventeen-year-old Victoria Darling, who wants only to be an artist—a nearly impossible dream for a girl.
            
After Vicky poses nude for her illicit art class, she is expelled from her French finishing school. Shamed and scandalized, her parents try to marry her off to the wealthy Edmund Carrick-Humphrey. But Vicky has other things on her mind: her clandestine application to the Royal College of Art; her participation in the suffragette movement; and her growing attraction to a working-class boy who may be her muse—or may be the love of her life. As the world of debutante balls, corsets, and high society obligations closes in around her, Vicky must figure out: just how much is she willing to sacrifice to pursue her dreams?

Review:

  I hate historical fiction, and if you've read my other reviews, you will know that I really dislike the concept. But something about A Mad Wicked Folly was just spectacular and intrigued me in. But seriously, look at that cover. It's madness because it's just so beautiful!
   A Mad Wicked Folly is now one of my newest favourite books. It's just so good, and so hard to let go, because you will feel like you want to be in the world of Victoria Darling forever and ever. It's one of those books that will leave you wanting more, even if its a standalone novel, and it's one of those that you just want to forget about to, because you will be staying up late into the night thinking about what the heck I just got you into.

    So here we have Victoria Darling, daughter of rich parents in London in 1909. She lives a life in boarding school in France, where she has a secret adoration for art that almost nobody knows about. One day, she poses nude in front of male artists and is expelled from school and returns to London, where her parents try to change her reputation by trying to get her to marry Edmund Carrick-Humphrey, who is willing to join Vicky's father's business. Vicky is torn apart by the wealthy man who can help her get into art college and the man that she fell in love with at first sight.

    

  to... Vicky Darling, for her absolute amazingness in being such a fantastic charming brave heroine. We hardly find characters like her, and that's just another reason why Sharon Biggs Waller has created absolute excellence. Vicky charmed me and sucked me into her story from the beginning, with her witty and humorous point of view. She easily can fool people, and was a perfect mischievous liar who definitely gave me a lot of fun when reading this extraordinary novel. Thus, I'm begging you to read her story.

   Will Fletcher... I seriously am in love with you.


  There are only a few male fictional characters that I fell in love with when reading the books that they starred in: Four from Divergent, Augustus from TFIOS, Kishan from the Tiger's Curse series and Christian from the Unearthly trilogy. I am very proud to announce that Will Fletcher has now joined the group. 

  He was exactly the type of person that I wanted Vicky to be with in the beginning. They completed each other, and it's really hard to find that sort of chemistry between characters in books. Sharon Biggs Waller basically aced that part of writing, and mainly everything else as well. Will,

  

   The plot, from beginning to end, was absolutely spectacular. Never have I ever felt this wondrous and dreamy when reading a book, the last time I felt this way was a long time ago. I love reading amazing books like this because they just warm my heart and I will never forget about them. I never got bored reading this book, not even once, and that's truly the power of awesome authors. Their books just suck you in from beginning to end with their beautiful stories and characters.

  Boringness Perfection, check. A Mad Wicked Folly is one of those books that will blow your eye sockets out because it's just that amazing. Make room onto your bookshelf, this book definitely deserves a space in there.

No comments :

Post a Comment

I love comments, I always read them, they always make my day and help me improve my posts. Thank you!