16 Things I Thought Were True, by Janet Gurtler

Sunday 20 April 2014





16 Things I Thought Were True, by Janet Gurtler

Genre: Young Adult Fiction, Contemporary, Romance, Tragic

Rating: 5/5 stars










Goodreads Summary: Heart attacks happen to other people #thingsIthoughtweretrue

When Morgan's mom gets sick, it's hard not to panic. Without her mother, she would have no one—until she finds out the dad who walked out on her as a baby isn't as far away as she thought...

Adam is a stuck-up, uptight jerk #thingsIthoughtweretrue

Now that they have a summer job together, Morgan's getting to know the real Adam, and he's actually pretty sweet...in a nerdy-hot kind of way. He even offers to go with her to find her dad. Road trip, anyone?

5000 Twitter followers are all the friends I need #thingsIthoughtweretrue

With Adam in the back seat, a hyper chatterbox named Amy behind the wheel, and plenty of Cheetos to fuel their trip, Morgan feels ready for anything. She's not expecting a flat tire, a missed ferry, a fake girlfriend...and that these two people she barely knew before the summer started will become the people she can't imagine living without.


Review:


  First of all,

  

I believe and always believed that when a book makes you cry and creates the "feels," then the book really is amazing and worth a re-read one day. And seriously, that's what I believe with 16 Things I Thought Were True. Janet Gurtler is a contemporary novel genius.

Janet's work surprises me every time with a whole new setting, plot and a whole wide range of characters that possibly will shatter your heart into a million pieces. It's just remarkable to see and read a book with such depth and meaning to it. That's what 16 Things I Thought Were True was all about, meaning.

 I find that a plot in a book can be so simple, but can mean a lot and relate to the reader, and be so realistic at the same time, having the reader imagining themselves in the character's place/shoes. 

  The Summary: Morgan is just living your average teenager's life, with a few wild streaks in between. Her ex-best friend recently posted a video of Morgan on YouTube dancing with boy underwear on, where 3 million people were watching. Morgan was mortified, but of course, she had to move on. When Morgan lands a summer job working at a gift shop, she meets nerdy Adam who she couldn't care less about until the day her mom goes to the hospital, and Adam ends up driving Morgan there. What she doesn't know is that he possibly will become the person she can't live without, right next to a talkative wild eighteen year old girl named Amy. The three set off into a road trip to Victoria, British Columbia, where Morgan is about to meet her biological father, who left before her birth.

   Everything Else In Between: So my nerves were splattering all around the place when I was reading this. It just created so many emotions for me! One minute I was laughing my head off at something hilarious Adam said, and the next I was completely bawling my eyes out. This book gave me mood swings, I needed to finish it when I wanted to finish it. Okay? Okay.

    

   Why? Well because it was just too good. Now, let me explain right from the start. Janet Gurtler's beginnings are always so fierce and just bring us straight to the point within a few chapters. The big thing/point occurs and we're straight into the race. That's what I LOVE about her books! We never get bored and everything's perfect. 

    Even though this was a contemporary novel, there was so much action! xD Every moment I felt that my heart was racing or I was biting my nails, hoping for the best. There were many plot twists and when I thought I knew that something was going to happen, it turned all around and it went differently.

    The Characters: Holy fudge. I loved these characters. Morgan was a great protagonist who was witty and hilarious and not afraid to wiggle her bum, haha. (You'll get it if you read this.) She used up all of energy all the time and was so bittersweet with a perfect personality. Adam broke my heart, I loved him too much and wanted him to be MINE! He was so supportive and always there for Morgan right from the start, and isn't it the best when male fictional characters are like little puppies? I just love that and it warms my heart. xD But in the end, Amy was the real heart-breaker. I loved her from the start from when we met her in the washroom. She is so chatty and bubbly, and we never find a character like her in a book, she's a keepsake to hide because she's so unique, I've never read about a character like her. 

     In the end, I kind of had a feeling that I knew what was going to happen, and it did. But it doesn't matter if it was a little predictable. The ending broke my heart. All of the memories that the characters went through shot back at me, and I cried a lot because it was so sad to just see things break up. Morgan did a great job leading the novel to the perfect ending, continuing with a legacy to get a bubbly girl in the better place up there to smile. In the end, Morgan made a HUGE character development and she ended up like a whole new person.

      Overall, I was utterly pleased with this book. It was everything that I wanted it to be and ended up spectacular. I certainly can't wait for more from this fantastic shining author.

No comments :

Post a Comment

I love comments, I always read them, they always make my day and help me improve my posts. Thank you!