Rebel Belle, by Rachel Hawkins

Friday 18 April 2014




Rebel Belle, by Rachel Hawkins

Genre: Young Adult Fiction, Supernatural-Paranormal, Romance, Contemporary

Rating: 5/5 stars










Goodreads Summary: Harper Price, peerless Southern belle, was born ready for a Homecoming tiara. But after a strange run-in at the dance imbues her with incredible abilities, Harper's destiny takes a turn for the seriously weird. She becomes a Paladin, one of an ancient line of guardians with agility, super strength and lethal fighting instincts.

Just when life can't get any more disastrously crazy, Harper finds out who she's charged to protect: David Stark, school reporter, subject of a mysterious prophecy and possibly Harper's least favourite person. But things get complicated when Harper starts falling for him--and discovers that David's own fate could very well be to destroy Earth.

With snappy banter, cotillion dresses, non-stop action and a touch of magic, this new young adult series from bestseller Rachel Hawkins is going to make y'all beg for more.


Review:


  “The great thing about best friends is that they know you really well. And the terrible thing about best friends is that they know YOU really well.”

  "Here we go... another contemporary Southern novel with a bratty main character and a cheesy romance." This is what some people expect from this novel, and maybe it's what I originally thought too, but, NO NO NO. If you believe that, then you are wrong. Rebel Belle is my new favourite book of 2014, lined up right next to Danielle Paige's Dorothy Must Die. 

     Harper Price is living the ordinary life in Alabama. She's popular, gets good grades, is the head cheerleader, has many friends, and has the boyfriend everyone dreams of. But on Homecoming night, something out of the ordinary strikes into her life and it will never leave her, she becomes a Paladin, and it is her destiny to save and protect David, her archenemy and rival since kindergarden. Harper believes to think that she has nothing left in her life, but the truth is that everything she wants... is right in front of her, and everything isn't too difficult to handle.

      Like I mentioned above, I didn't know what to expect from this novel. Rachel Hawkins is a fantastic author, especially because of the Hex Hall trilogy, but a contemporary novel taken place in the South mixed with fantasy? Not the best combination when you think about it, but Rachel Hawkins has definitely created something stellar and more...

       I've read mixed reviews about this book and a lot of people mentioned that they thought that Harper was too bitchy of a character and too snobby and really didn't see everything clearly. I thought... well the opposite. Harper was definitely a fantastic main girl character who had so much confidence and independence in her. Even though she had many friends, I felt that she could handle things easily on her own without her buddies helping her every step of the journey. I hoped for the best for her, and the way she told her story was beautiful.
   
       So, was Rachel Hawkins trying to make Ryan loveable or hated? In the beginning, I fell in love with Ryan, and I was so jealous that Harper had such a loving supportive boyfriend like him! Of course, we all began to hate him by the end because of the chaos he created with Mary Beth, the real snob of the story. Did she deserve any smiles from Harper? Uhhh... NOPE.

      

         

   Okay.. now the best character, (next to Harper) comes last. DAVID. Holy hummingbirds, David was just absolutely A D O R A B L E. I loved him too much, and I felt like we've grown such a bond together, LOL. I am too jealous of Harper. David was absolutely witty and hilarious and the perfect guy who really and strangely reminded me of Ansel Egort. 


  

  MY BABY. <333

  The plot was absolutely there. All throughout the novel, things were happening, 24/7. Rachel Hawkins definitely did a good job of not keeping me bored, because 'ya know, I get bored so easily reading books, and that's a problem. It was a slow book to read, but I felt like it was 100% worth it, spending 4 hours reading it. :')

  I definitely recommend this, SO SO MUCH, because I strongly believe that no matter what genre of YA you like to read, this will fascinate anyone, and that's the magic of some books, especially this one, by Rachel Hawkins. 

  When is the sequel coming out? *whines* I need it NOW NOW NOW. :'( Okay, Rachel, you can just leave me here, sitting alone.. 
    

No comments :

Post a Comment

I love comments, I always read them, they always make my day and help me improve my posts. Thank you!